$947 to change spark plugs

My 2002 S-type 3.0 is due for new plugs, can't for to take it to my local jag dealer, so I would like to do it myself. I found a site that gives a detail description on changing the plugs on the same engine in the X-type.

the x-type being front wheel drive everything is shifted 90 degrees, so the things this guys says are hard to reach may not be so in the s-type, and vice versa. So my first question is, does anyone know of a link that gives a detail description on how to change the plugs in an S-type. The second question is, if not, what problems can I expect on the S-type that is not expected on the X-type. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. Billy

Reply to
Billy

There was an article in last months practical mechanics about a basic s type service.

If I still have it (cant think why I wouldn't) then I will scan in the pages an email them over to you.

With the x-type being front wheel drive everything is shifted 90 degrees, > so> the things this guys says are hard to reach may not be so in the s-type, > and> vice versa. So my first question is, does anyone know of a link that gives > a> detail description on how to change the plugs in an S-type. The second> question is, if not, what problems can I expect on the S-type that is not> expected on the X-type.>

Reply to
Peter

Put your wrench on the plug and turn counter clockwise to remove- put in new plug and turn clockwise to tighten.

JimInsolo

Sounds nice and simple, but I think you need to remove the inlet manafold first. If I remember correcly, this job was marked as right pain in the arse.

Reply to
Peter

You remember correctly.

Reply to
WayneC

That would be great, if you find it my email address is snipped-for-privacy@aim.com If not I should be able to find a copy at library. Thanks for the tip.

Billy

: > Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. : > Billy : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Billy

Good to know info, but I was looking for a wee bit more detail.

:

s.html : > With the x-type being front wheel drive everything is shifted 90 degrees, : so : > the things this guys says are hard to reach may not be so in the s-type, : and : > vice versa. So my first question is, does anyone know of a link that gives : a : > detail description on how to change the plugs in an S-type. The second : > question is, if not, what problems can I expect on the S-type that is not : > expected on the X-type. : >

: > Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. : > Billy : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Billy

Wow, so Jaguar were lying when they said my 2005 VDP was 4 wheel drive? I'm going to sue them right now....

With the x-type being front wheel drive everything is shifted 90 degrees, > so> the things this guys says are hard to reach may not be so in the s-type, > and> vice versa. So my first question is, does anyone know of a link that gives > a> detail description on how to change the plugs in an S-type. The second> question is, if not, what problems can I expect on the S-type that is not> expected on the X-type.>

Reply to
Barney Rubble

Good luck with that.

: > Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. : > Billy : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Billy

Man, if you have to take all off to get to them, I would say be sure to use the longest lasting plug you can find -- not a time to use $2 plugs, for sure.

X-type.http://3litermotorproject.blogspot.com/2006/01/motor-project-5-changi...> With the x-type being front wheel drive everything is shifted 90 degrees, so> the things this guys says are hard to reach may not be so in the s-type, and> vice versa. So my first question is, does anyone know of a link that gives a> detail description on how to change the plugs in an S-type. The second> question is, if not, what problems can I expect on the S-type that is not> expected on the X-type.>

Reply to
Smartobject

X-type.http://3litermotorproject.blogspot.com/2006/01/motor-project-5-changi...> With the x-type being front wheel drive everything is shifted 90 degrees, so> the things this guys says are hard to reach may not be so in the s-type, and> vice versa. So my first question is, does anyone know of a link that gives a> detail description on how to change the plugs in an S-type. The second> question is, if not, what problems can I expect on the S-type that is not> expected on the X-type.>

Reply to
sheepman

Thanks for the advice, it is actually the coils that is motivating me to change the plugs, I've had to replace two of them in the last 3 months, but it wasn't the ones under the manifold. like you said it started as an intermitting misfire. I'm about to take a 3,000 mile trip and don't want to take a chance of one going out while I'm traveling. $947 was from the dealer, I can get it done for half the price if I take it to general mechanic. The one general mechanic I spoke with said it was 2 1/2 hours labor. I figure I should be about to do it, just under 5 hours.

: > Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. : > Billy :

Reply to
Billy

After reading this, I sent off a note to the service advisor at my dealership, Bergstrom Premier Motor Cars in Appleton, Wisconsin. This is his response:

"On the 2002 Jaguar X-Type, the sparkplugs are not due till 100,000 miles. The 100,000 mile maintenance service including an oil service, new wiper inserts, climate system filter, accessory drive belt, new sparkplugs and the comprehensive inspection including labor time, parts, oil and tax is $695."

Since I do my own oil changes with Mobil 1, the price of that obviously gets deducted. I also opt to buy the parts (wiper inserts and climate system filter) and install myself, thus saving a couple more bucks in labor.

Mark '02 X-Type 2.5

Reply to
Mark E. Bye

Hi Billy,

The file is large at 10M so I have put it onto a temp webserver.

I can't promise that it will stay there forever, but should be good for a few days.

This comes from "Car Mechanics" magazine, which is worth ever penny for a subscription. Please see

then rush out and buy one! One other source of info you may like to consider is joining the club
The magazine alone is worth its weight in gold for helpfull hints etc.

Thats enough advertising from me, so please download and good luck!

Peter

: > With the x-type being front wheel drive everything is shifted 90 > degrees,> : > so

Reply to
Peter

Got it, Thanks for putting in the time.

Billy

: > That would be great, if you find it my email address is : > snipped-for-privacy@aim.com : > If not I should be able to find a copy at library. : > Thanks for the tip. : >

: > Billy : >

: >

> : > With the x-type being front wheel drive everything is shifted 90: > degrees, : > : > so : > : > the things this guys says are hard to reach may not be so in the : > s-type, : > : > and : > : > vice versa. So my first question is, does anyone know of a link that : > gives : > : > a : > : > detail description on how to change the plugs in an S-type. The second : > : > question is, if not, what problems can I expect on the S-type that is : > not : > : > expected on the X-type. : > : >

: > : > Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. : > : > Billy : > : >

: > : >

: > : : > : : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Billy

: >Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. : >Billy : >

: : After reading this, I sent off a note to the service advisor at my : dealership, Bergstrom Premier Motor Cars in Appleton, Wisconsin. : This is his response: : : "On the 2002 Jaguar X-Type, the sparkplugs are not due till 100,000 : miles. The 100,000 mile maintenance service including an oil service, : new wiper inserts, climate system filter, accessory drive belt, new : sparkplugs and the comprehensive inspection including labor time, : parts, oil and tax is $695." : : Since I do my own oil changes with Mobil 1, the price of that : obviously gets deducted. I also opt to buy the parts (wiper inserts : and climate system filter) and install myself, thus saving a couple : more bucks in labor. : : Mark : '02 X-Type 2.5

Fair enough, I recieved my quote from South Coast Jaguar in San Juan Capistrano, CA , it was just changing the plugs.

Reply to
Billy

With the x-type being front wheel drive everything is shifted 90 degrees, > so> the things this guys says are hard to reach may not be so in the s-type, > and> vice versa. So my first question is, does anyone know of a link that gives > a> detail description on how to change the plugs in an S-type. The second> question is, if not, what problems can I expect on the S-type that is not> expected on the X-type.>

Hi Billy, I have found a better article about changing the plugs. It is from Jaguar World Monthly Feb 2004.

This is a 5M file, currently available from, but again I cant promise more than a few days!

It reports that the was also a problem with the coolant expansion tank (on the earlier s-stype (badge on bonnet NOT grill)), which should be changed at the same time. If yours hasn't failed already it seems it may do very soon. Also, whilst you have taken half the car apart the pollen filter is exposed and easy to change!

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Wow, This is great, if I can't do it with these instructions, I never should have ask the question. It will be a week or so before I replace the plugs, but I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again. Billy