A few questions about a new 3.0 X Type

Hi there,

Had my 3.0 X-Type automatic for a month and, for the most part, I'm very satisfied. Love the looks inside and out, first and foremost. The performance isn't too bad either. A few questions though:

  • I'm noticing a squeaky sound coming from underneath when driving on uneven pavement (live in the Motor City, a.k.a. Pothole City, of all places - plenty of "uneven" pavement here). Sounds to me like the springs are squeaking - is this common with X-Types?

  • Transmission seems to shift a bit harshly, especially on a downshift when coasting to a stop. Sometimes when it shifts from 3-rd to 2-nd, a sudden jerk accompanies the shift. This has me sort of worried, although not enough to complain to the dealer. When I'm slowing down with brakes applied, this doesn't happen.

  • The manual mentions in no uncertain terms that only premium gas will do. I'm wondering - doesn't this car have an octane sensor like most (all?) cars out there? I tried 93 and 89 so far - runs fine on 89 but with a noticeable difference in performance. I'm wondering if it's healthy to run this car on 89 long term?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Slav Inger

i don't know lots about x-type as i'm about to buy a 2004 x-type 3.0 sport. from all my readings of reviews, etc, the automatic trans has never been "right". i'm after a 3.0 sport with manual trans., but due to lack of Jag insight they don't make many "sport" models with manual transmission. it's really a no-brainer that you don't market a "sport" sedan with just 2 pedals under the dash..!!

the downshift harshness may be normal, perhaps that automatic was designed to have quick clutch movements with the hydraulics, good for moving thhrough the gears while accelerating, sometimes bad for downshifts. faster clutch movements also means less slipage and better gas mileage.

most modern cars today deploy some sort of knock sensors and adjust timing accordingly. if the manual does not say specifically to use a octane rating, then any pump gas works... odd that "you" notice a diff when running 89 vs.

  1. usually not noticeable under the foot, but if that's the case i would inquire with your Jag dealer or Ford directly...

Kryptoknight