Advice on Faded Wood Trim

Any advice on how to restore wood trim that has been faded somewhat by UV rays from the sun and/or how to protect against further fade? My 2001 Jaguar Vanden Plas has some fading, and some of the trim is great.

Alan Strickland Victoria Canada

Reply to
Alan Strickland

Dear Mr. Strickland,

Well coorect me if I am wrong, but the wood trim is a vaneer over formed plywood. Color is typically a stain directly on the wood or in the mix of the varnish. There may be some product that offers a wipe on protectant, otherwise I would remove the trim and sand the varnish off and rework them all. You would have to be a lucky man to match the unfaded pieces!

Today there is a greater demand for UV protection and today you can find varnishes for outdoor and marine use full of UV additives.

BD

Reply to
Blake Dodson

One note, the varnish is very, very thin. It may be better to chemically remove it than to "sand".

Reply to
TA J