ADVICES PLZZZ, I WANT TO BUY THIS 88 JAGUAR

HI guys, I saw on craigslist a posting for a jaguar 88-black, leather. new rebuilt transmission under 100 miles. Over $6000 invested and it runs great with some minor body damage. The asking price is $1995. Plz tell me should I buy this car and what should I offer. I love jaguar so much but im afraid of buying a lemon :( I'm a student after all.

Reply to
jennieisbetter

It's likely to need constant attention and part/service are expensive. Get your degree and when you can afford it get a newer car. If you MUST have this car take it to an experienced Jag mechanic and have it checked over completely BEFORE you buy it.

Good luck, Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

You should provide the link so that we may look at it.

From what you have provided I would not buy it.

I've owned XK-140 and E-Type, and they require maintenance, that, as a student, you may not be able to afford.

My personal thing is to never buy a black car, or transmission rebuilds, or body damage.

There is a reason why it is only $1995.

I had a Ferrari 308 GTS in hand for only $20K, a bank foreclosure (no maintenance done) I took many pics, went to the Ferrari maintenance manager, and he said that to get this car back to specs would require another $20K, and then you will have a $30K car.

You need a Jaguar dealer estimate. Even if you have to pay, it may save you from a bad decision.

Reply to
Billzz

I would pass. I had an 85 XJ6 and now own an 03 XJ8 . They are awesome, but are also the $1000 dollar repair car. On the 85 everything that you have done is a $1000 it seems. The 88 that you are looking at is the first year of the XJ40 it replaced the Series III that I had. There were issues with the suspension and other first year model problems.

It may look great, but if you purchase, you must realize that the purchase price will be the smallest bill that you will have.

Mike

Reply to
mjordan44