Aftermarket stereo in 89 Sov

Hey all,

I'm having a nightmare of a time finding anyone who will fit my Kenwood KDC-MP6090R CD/MP3 head unit and a set of replacement speakers in my `89 Sovereign. They all insist its too big a job because it needs rewiring to replace the common wiring on the door speakers. This is a fair point I guess but how hard can it be?

Has anyone here fitted a replacement head unit in a similar Jag? If so do you care to fill me in on your experiences? I'm up to the job, I've fitted numerous stereos in other cars in the past, but i would really like to use the existing 4" speaker mounts and grills in the doors. Not overly worried about the woofers under the rear seat, I'll either replace them and run an amp to power them or ill maybe fit a sub in the boot at a later date, but my priority is to get the head unit fitted and

4 new full range decent quality speakers in the doors.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, cant handle tapes and crap sound quality any more.

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
Madmuhfuh

Matt, I have always heard this about new stereo heads in the XJ40. I replaced my stock unit with an Alpine and simply wired the speakers in the doors as they came off the unit. Left front to left front, RR to RR etc. The bass speakers under the rear seat I simply wired with the corresponding rear door side. Although it is not as good on the bass as witht he amplified original unit, the frequenct response on those speakers is such that they respond very nicely.

I never re-wired the speakers and used the originals. (I did upgrade later)

Cheers Webserve '88 XJ40

Reply to
Webserve