any ideas on a fuel fail 67 code check engine light?

I have a 1994 XJ12 that has recently displayed a fuel fail 67 code. Dealership said that it wasn't the O2 sensors, and that they thought that it might be one of the EGR valves.This car is pre OBDII I think. Any ideas, and how easy might it be to fix? Much appreciate (in advance) responses. By the way, is it really true that there were only

190 XJ12's with the XJ40 body style imported into the USA???? Any guesses if this is destined to become an appreciating vehicle, and how long it might take???
Reply to
'94 xj12 owner

You have a slight problem. First off, yes the car is OBD1. But that should not be a problem for the dealership. EVERY V-12 made by Jaguar that had OBD had OBD1 until the 1996 model year. They should be able to handle it. Go to a local parts chain like Advance Auto or Pep Boys or someone and see if they can get a proper reading. Any time the dealership says they "think" they know the problem it means that they are going to start charging you $150 an hour to indiscriminately replace things until they get it right. They charged my buddy $200 to run a check on his XJR battery and tell him one of the cells was shorted

You need to re-set the computer. Make sure you have your radio codes and door lock codes and then disconnect the positive terminal on the battery for

1/2 hour. Re-connect the battery and the code may have gone away. Disconnecting the battery is the same as re-booting your home computer.

I am not sure of the production numbers on the 1994 V-12 but I believe it is much higher than than. You can see them for sale on Ebay nearly every day. In fact there are 2 of them for sale right now -- barely fetching $5,000. IF there was potential value to these cars, collectors would be on them in a minute and the price would be shooting up. The rarest and most acclaimed of the V-12s is the 1992 V-12 which will often fetch upwards to $35,000 -- $40,000. It was an overlap car in the era of the square XJ40 -- it still came packaged in the XJ6 Series III body. For proper information on production, simply contact the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust in Coventry.

Personally, I do not believe it will be an appreciating vehicle. Whilst the V-12 is a beautiful design and powerful plant, it also has it's drawbacks -- one of which you are experiencing at the dealership. The 1988/1989 XJS which came standard with the V-12 originally sold for nearly twice the XJ6. Now they will barely sell for $2,000 - $2,500. I have a friend who just bought his in near perfect shape for $1800.

You should forget thinking about any potential windfall from your car and simply enjoy it for the impressive, sleek, powerful beast it is. If these cars are selling for $5,000 in 2006 on Ebay -- you will not live long enough to see it appreciate substantially. Just my humble opinion.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Thank you so very much for that GREAT information. I really do enjoy this car! it is really a joy driving (sort of like putting a knife through semi soft butter, it's that smooth). It "purrs" very nicely, and (even after 140K) has a very nice "growl" when put into sport mode! After having the headliner replaced, and getting the upholstery brought up to "snuff", and completely tuning it (trans service, power steering fluid, and brake fluid synthetic-not antifreeze, though, and a new power steering pump, and new hoses, etcetera) my budget for fixin this thing is "shot" for a while. My wife will confirm this! It is really frustrating to see it just slowly decay! There isn't enough room for it in my garage, and when I cover it, sand gets under the cover, and scratches the paint. The So. Cal. sun fades the paint, and all I can do is keep the window shade on it, and (I did tint the windows-that helps). Update, the research that I've done seems to indicate that the fuel fail 67 code that I have is probably just the EGR tubes check valve/tube "gunked" up. I'll have to remove them, and clean them out with a drill or something. Apparently, it isn't all that serious (the engine will not go into a lean burn condition)., and all that it may hinder is smog. Another project for a spare Saturday. I'm still facing things like that wonderful air conditioner evaporator (joy of joys), and fortunately not much else! It is really good to have found such a resource for these cars. thanks for taking the time to respond. happy motoring.

Reply to
'94 xj12 owner