Before you buy a Jag, Read This!

Monday, September 18, 2006 10:36 AM Subject : Re: Jaguar Experience

Dear Daniel Feng,

Thank you for contacting Jaguar Cars.

At this time, there is not a way to turn off this feature.

We are always receptive to customer feedback. This is one way we learn of concerns with our vehicles and of improvements or changes desired by our customers. The information is then categorized and channeled to the appropriate department.

Sincerely,

Colleen Hogan Jaguar Cars

Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:47 PM Subject : Jaguar Experience

Submit Owner Stories Last Name: Feng First Name: Daniel Last 6 characters of VIN: E80161 ZIP Code: 94582

I purchased my 2006 Jag a few months ago from Livermore Jaguar. Had I known at the time that I purchased it that I could not have my wife program the Nav system while I was driving, I would have never purchased the car. The vast majority of other luxury cars do not impose this safety feature on their buyers. Why do you? I just completed a JD Powers survey and have given you a failing rating. I am currently also allocating 1-hour of my time per week to informing as many people as I can on the internet, i.e. blogs, newsgroups, jagtalk, etc. not to buy a Jag based solely on this feature. As you can see, I am very dissatisfied. The only way you can make this up to me is to have my dealer remove this safety feature...

Sincerely,

Daniel Feng

begin 666 minus_sign.gif M1TE&.#EA$P`0`)$``````/___S-FF?___R'Y! $```,`+ `````3`! ```(B DG(^IR^T/C9B4.K%PTXGGOPW . Z>

Reply to
Daniel

cant program the naigation in my Benz also while driving. sure it will save some accidents in the long run

Reply to
twok2000

If it is that offensive to you, simply replace the Jaguar unit with one of many others available. The other option is to live with it and understand that driving is a privilege and should be taken seriously. That means keep the distractions to a minimum. Distracted drivers are responsible for a huge percentage of accidents.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Not to press the subject but do you really use the thing? I mean I seriously considered one for my XK8 but then it occurred to me that I pretty much always know where I am going. Almost all of my driving is in familiar territory. I just decided it was a very sexy gizmo, great to impress passengers, but I doubted I would ever get much utility from it. And where I might actually use it would be in busy urban areas that would require me to pay attention to traffic and I'd not have the luxury of studying my moving map display without taking my eyes off the road for too lomg.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

I use one in urban areas - it is far more useful there than on the open road! But I do just work off the voice (Turn left in 100 yards), and accept that in complex junctions I may get it wrong and rely on the sat nav re-routing. I can't see that not being able to program it whilst driving is a major issue. It takes seconds to do and you will normally only do it once per route, so just pull over, or do it before you start, or have you passenger do it whilst you are at a red light... A Jag is rather more than a sat nav on wheels.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

Well, I've owned several Jaguars (XK-140 and E-Type, too old to have mapping systems) but I've travelled across the country several times, using a DeLorme GPS mapping system hosted on a laptop, with a 14" screen. It shows an actual AAA high resolution roadmap or National Geographic map or topo map (loaded by CD ROM) which can be adjusted for resolution, on-the-fly. It also has all the AAA motels, etc. which can be contacted by mobile phone, if I want to find a place that will take my dog. It is programmed, at the start, then once it is running, the computer files are in use, and can not be re-programmed, on-the-fly. I have to stop, then reprogram. Maybe that is the problem? I do not care for these six inch screens with artificial icons. I want to see an actual map. The DeLorme system uses actual maps. But once it is running, it cannot be re-programmed - on-the-fly - because the computer files are in use. I have to stop the program to change the start, stop, and intermediate points. I also drive a typical 12 hour day, so maybe I am atypical, but stopping for gas, and reprogramming has never been a problem.

Reply to
Billzz

If you need one of these gizmos to find your way around, you are a moron.

Reply to
JimInsolo

What's wrong with a map? or can't your wife read a map?

Reply to
Al

Daniel wrote in article ...

DUH!

No surprise there................

Cite?

Aw, Geez!

THAT ruins Jag's near-perfect performance record........Their very first letter of complaint...........TODAY!

A SPAMMER is born....an evangelistic one, no less!

AW!

You'll get over it....

ROFLMAO!

Yeah.....THAT's about to happen!

Then, after the accident you cause while programing your nav system in motion because your wife isn't with you, YOU sue Jaguar for allowing such a dangerous driving situation to take place by eliminating the safety feature that requires you to pull over to program the system.......even though you insisted on it.....

.....the legal argument usually suggests that the car company is the "professional" and should have known better than to allow you, the "poor, unsuspecting consumer" to badger them into bypassing a safety device that was built into the car for a reason.

The "professional" company and dealership should have known much more than the "poor, unsuspecting consumer" about such potential hazards, and should take full blame for bypassing the system, and setting up a circumstance that was beyond the control of the "poor, unsuspecting consumer.".

You're a putz!

Oh, BTW.....

Should you ever find someone dumb enough to tamper with and re-program your system - or even if you don't - your public-record letter to Jag has just set you up for a closer investigation in the event you ever DO have an accident of ANY kind.....

DUMBASS!

Reply to
*

Yeah, but are you checking back to count how many people think you're a moron?

-- C.R. Krieger (Able to program it while stopped.)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Can't use nav in my Lexus LS430 & SC430 with car in motion

Reply to
goodman

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote in article ...

Let's see:

twok2000 says he cannot program his Mercedes unit while in motion, and you say you cannot program your Lexus unit.

That's two major luxury car manufacturers that do not allow it.

Wanna' bet a few others check in here before it's all over?

Dumb Daniel's statement.......

"The vast majority of other luxury cars do not impose this safety feature on their buyers."

.....is rapidly losing credibility - pretty much along a parallel line to his credibility....

You don't suppose that assinine statement is making the rounds at Jaguar's offices, among people who fully understand exactly what bullschidt it is, do you?

Give it up, "DD".

You're asshole deep to a tall indian in bullschidt, and it's still rising!!

Reply to
*

Before you rant, moron, try getting your facts correct If your devoting an hour a week you sure need to get a life

Reply to
old man

I used to think that until my wife got an S-type with satnav. On day 2 I had to go to the local Jaguar dealer to get some touch-up paint for a one micron chip she'd found in the bonnet/hood. The dealers is in the local town that I know well. I turned off the one-way system and bought the paint. Then I realised that I was faced with a circuit of the rest of the one-way system or nipping out the dealers back gate into a maze of twisty side roads on an estate I'd never seen. The navigation took me through the estate and right back to where I'd entered the one-way system, saving me a detour of a couple of miles and perhaps 20 minutes in the rush-hour traffic.

Reply to
Steve Swift

Now there's a classic case of rationalization for spending money on some silly gimmick. Much like the guys with those 4 wheel drive trucks lifted to the sky who finally get to brag about how practical they are when the snow falls one day of the year.

Reply to
JimInsolo

JimInsolo wrote in article ...

Hey.....he bought a Jag-you-errr.

That should tell you a lot in itself....

Maybe he has one of those jacked-up trucks, too?

Reply to
*

I'd have to agree....on the Moron thing.

old man wrote:

Reply to
punkfest2000

Daniel,

It must be possible to switch off this feature. I bought a Sport Premium X-Type just before Xmas (an ex-demonstrator). It was first registered on 31 March 2006, and I can program the SatNav while on the move.

The SatNav is sourced from Denso. They also supply Cadillac and Toyota/Lexus in the United States.

William

Reply to
William

Reply to
desocec

Some nouveau-riche zipper head wasting people's time with this stuff. These guys are the worst drivers in the world, and no one needs one weaving down the highway while trying to re-program his toy.

Reply to
JimInsolo