Bleeding the cooling system on an XJ8

I recently had to replace the hose from the radiator to the V8.

It now runs for a whiule at normal temp and then shoots up to the red. It will sometimes drop back down if I put the heater onto high. My mate says that there might be an airlock in it, any ideas how to get rid of it.

TIA

Reply to
Colin Hough

I would check the fan relay behind the front bumper on the left side, thats what it usually is.

GGG

"Colin Hough" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:%c0zc.76$EI5.67@newsfe6-win...

Reply to
GGG

Hello,

Well there is no trick with this engine as it purges the air naturally, however, it should be noted that

  1. The thermostat has/is failing .
  2. The cheap plastic impeller on the water pump is "toast".
  3. The thermoswitches in the radiator and/or the controller is going south. (Like the other poster half mentioned.)

Driving this engine overheated will surely destroy it.

So...are your fans running when the engine is hot? Do they both switch on? Remove the thermostat and test, well replace it, they are cheap. The thermoswitches do fail but are not common. The controller on the other hand, have had a history of fits... Like switching on both fans at the same time and blowing the fuse.

So, if your coolant is up to the fill headpipe, your thermostat is new or check out ok, then we have narrowed it down to the following items.

  1. Bad water pump.
  2. Bad thermoswitch (I doubt both would fail)
  3. Bad cooling controller.

Best of Luck,

Blake D.

Reply to