Body Damage problems need advice!! PLEASE!!!

We have an 2003 S-Type and we were rear ended on Wendsday. I have pics if interested. Anyway, we were not hit very hard and we were told by the body shop that they are going to replace the trunk ( rear boot cover) trunk latck, badging and crome, bumper, 2 backing up senors.

Not here is my question, They mentioned that they might want to replace the rear body. What does this mean? Are they going to cut off the rear of the car and weld on a new rear end? ( I know a crude explation)

I lived in California.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks in advance.

Shamus

Reply to
Shamus O'Hire

First look at the CA Insurance Code's automotive section (law) so you know your rights vs. the insurance co. It's on-line.

You can choose the body shop that will repair the car; some ins. co's have preferred shops whose bill they pay in full without negotiation. Understand how payment will be made. A rental car should be provided by the ins. co. while your car is in the shop or off the road. Don't overlook that.

Do all the car's doors open and close as before? If not then the damage extends into the unibody and the body must be pulled back to its original dimensions. The car's body is then somewhat compromised, IMHO.

Choose a body shop that gives you confidence in their workmanship for you're trusting them to do a good job. Tour their shop, ask questions. What's their warranty? What's their adjustment period (for fit & finish adjustments and rattle elimination)? They're done with you after that.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

And don't forget to ask- Will my title have a rebuild label? Will my car suffer from diminished value?

In either case your resale value will plummet because there will be a record of your car being in an accident.

Now about replacing the rear body: It sounds as if the impact bent the rear unitbody downwards. What they are going to do is drill out all of the spotwelds and replace the rear half of the car. A good shop can make your car look like new, but you diminshed resale is going to remain.

Personally I would demand that the insurance company total your car and find you a replacement. You did not buy a wrecked car and why should you have one now?

Regards, B.D.

Reply to
Blake Dodson