Brake lights 86 XJ-6

Greetings:

Brake lights don't work.

Fuse/bulbs is good but no power getting to the fuse.

No power getting to the brake switch. Current checked both leads (yellow/white) coming out of the switch. Connected both leads to bypass switch and still no lights.

The fourth and fifth fuses from the right (drivers side fuse box) getting no power. One of these (which one?) I assume is the stop/brake lamps.

Signal switch works all the time - even with the key in "off" position. Is the short here? Is the faulty signal switch causing the power interrupt?

Desperately seeking advice.

thanks.

wendy

Reply to
wendy

Hi Wendy, Without wanting to drive you away, have you tried Jag-Lovers?

I typed in break lights in the xj forum search and found some advise which might be useful.

Please report back it if helps!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Thanks Peter.

Some of the infor from the Jag forum is useful ... but I can't seem to get a straight answer:

1986 XJ-6 4-door ... which fuse is for the brake lights? The "cover" references a series I coupe ... but not my vehicle.

ANy help?

Thanks again. wendy

Reply to
wendy

Testing all fuses would take only a few minutes. If that does not identify your problem you will likely need a wiring diagram to track down the problem, so I am not sure that knowing which fuse is for the brake lights would get you to the problem area. Jaguars tend to have different wiring schemes for different parts of the world, and especially for RH and LH drive vehicles. Hopefully, you may be in luck and someone can point you right to the defect.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Hi Wendy, Just a long shoot, if you have the correct fuse and there is no feed, then perhaps the connecter may be corroded on the back of the fuse box. Can you remove the box and check?

Also why not join the JEC club, as they have technical experts (un paid, just for the love of it) you can phone for advise? Nice monthly magazine too!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Thanks Peter:

I was able to unscrew the fuse box but there's not much slack in the wires and it's pretty much a sealed unit. I sprayed some contact cleaner in there ... still no luck. I really hate the thought of (1) ripping the car apart to follow the two fuses that are dead and/or (2) paying some local mechanic to do the same thing at $65 per hour.

I really want to do this myself.

Thanks again.

wendy

Reply to