buying advise

I made the terrible mistake of buying a C5 Vette convertible, I realized my mistake when I spent a weekend with my brothers XKR Roadster. Driving the Corvette to work on Monday I felt like I was riding inside Lego land, with all the plastic. I just put the Corvette up for sale in the local paper today, and I was curious if you guys prefer the Coupe or Roadster of the XK series. I think the coupe is a very pretty car, but nothing beats a convertible on a hot summer day. Anything else I should know about XK ownership before I head down to Jaguar of Troy? Thanks.

Reply to
James

Quick.. someone tell this guy his mail browser is screwy... it keeps defaulting to the Vette forum, when really he's looking for the Jag (well... Ford) forum.

Could be a windows XP thing. Call Bill.

Denis

Reply to
Deonysius

James, I don't get into the more modern Jags, so I can't help you. But I had to laugh at your post. Back when I was a teenager in the 60's we had a nickname for Corvettes: "Plastic Jaguars".

How ironic to hear you describe them that way now --- 35 years later!!

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Get out of here and visit the jaguar board, if there is such a thing.

Reply to
Mike

OK my two penneth....

The driving experience on all of the four variants of the XK (Coupe / Convertible 8/R) are different - the R's have a harder ride, so not so good for roads with an uneven pavement because of their CATS suspension and lower profile tyres... The convertibles some say are subject to scuttle shake... What's the neighbourhood like for a soft roof? I have heard that with the convertible, the rain runs straight off it through an open door (It has no gutter)... Also I guess you are in the US, where abouts what is the weather like - is it ideal convertible climate - coupes are possibly better for the desserts and wetter northern climes...

Basically talk with your dealing - borrow SOME XKs compare the ride quality of the 8 vs the R. Also try the convertible, get used to the hood arrangement, can you cope with the cover needing to be clipped in place each time you lower it.

Don't let your dealer fob you off with an 30 minute/hour test drive have each one for a couple of days. Try your regular driving pattern in it.

Thing to remember is its a big investment on your part. And if you get it right, one you will love. I have had a XK8 Coupe for 2 years and am still enjoying my "honeymoon" period.

Hope this helped

Simon C. B. Potts

Reply to
Bob Irelan

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:16:19 -0500, "James" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Troll, troll, troll my boat gently down the stream. I'm about as stupid as any Usenet poster can be. Let's go see if Pops will let me use the Falcon tonight.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He was right!

A Corvette to a Jaguar is like a MacDonalds Burger to a prime rib steak. One is cheap, crude, tasteless and rough of the guts. The other is refined, aged, tender and pleasing to the palate. Old story, you pay for what you get. :-)

Peanuts for for the common monkey (Chevrolay) Diamonds for a true Jewel (Jag-u-ar)

Reply to
Ron McGrice

For f*cks sake, most of you are arguing like kids when, probably, none of you are under 25.

You cannot compare a Jag to a Vette. Simple. It's like trying to compare a Ferrari to a Viper. They're both very good cars, but in totally different ways.

Reply to
Tristan

No, the Ferrari is a very good car....the Viper is not.

Reply to
Rick DinFinte

See what I mean!!!

My car's better than yours... My Dad says his car is faster than your Dad's... My Dad's stronger than your Dad....

etc, etc...

Reply to
Tristan

Yea, DON'T let the door hit you in the butt on the way there, what the hell you asking us about a Jag.

Reply to
Rad n Pad

Pick the Hemingway approach - it will give your wife cleaning chores for later.

Reply to
<Hobbes

"Tristan" wrote in news:bjq790$lvp$ snipped-for-privacy@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk:

No it's not!

It would be, a 240D MB.

Have to be, mines 80 :-)

Ron :-) I love it.

Reply to
Ron McGrice

I'd rather have the Micky D's Big Mac burger (made in America) instead of "Mad Cow" Prime rib steak, (Made in the UK) But... then again it's all just a matter of choice! You trolls just go and play with your brit toys and we will play with ours! After all, we have alot more places to drive our "big ole cars" here at home than you could ever dream of over there. So just take your football and run along to your brit-car newsgroup and let us play in ours!! And if ya see me waving, it's not at your brit car, it's at the VETTE that just passed ya by!

Reply to
The Lineman

Oh boy, I bet your arms so tired its ready to fall off!

Reply to
Rick DinFinte

After all the shouting, here are two excellent Jags in rustfree NZ, easily worth shipping - the urls are self-explanatory:

maybe a couple of old Jags:
What some Americans do is acquire cars over here and store them for their vacations and rallies. Mind you, a 427 Stingray is a real experience. Cheers, ex-owner of far too many Jags

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

"The Lineman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com:

I don't like Maccas anyway, tastes like crap, and our cows are clean. We don't import American or British Food :-)

I have a country the same size as America with less states and similar rules in all. It is MUCH easier to drive down under.

Hang on, you may not have heard of it. Australia a big land mass in the souther hemisphere :-)

As for the "Vette", I'll wave as I go past them on the side of the road, out of gas and water :-)

Reply to
Ron McGrice

I bet my big American slong can piss farther than your dinkie British one. What a waste of bandwidth. Yall need to grow up.

Rob

Reply to
Vetluver

On 11 Sep 2003 09:32:56 GMT, Ron McGrice wrote something wonderfully witty:

Not at all unless you are talking of cars of yester-year. The Jag-Ford is now more American then British.

Reply to
ZombyWoof