CAR DRIVING ME CRAZY

I have a 2000 S-Type 3.0. It started running rough and missing. I took it to the dealer who said I had a coil pack go out. They replaced it and it ran fine, UNTIL NOW. The car runs awful, stalls, will not accelerate, missess terribly and will go dead. I also noticed the exhaust on the right side of the vehicle one morning as I was standing behind it and nothing was coming out. Frustrated the other night going home as I was holding up traffic doing 30 in a 65 I floored it, Fire shot out the back of the car like a roman candle spraying sparks from the rear. Does anybody have an idea what may be wrong with this car. The sparks out the back the other night was pretty unusual. Any advice would be much apprecieated.

Reply to
MRDC1

From your symptoms, my guess would be a bad/plugged catalytic converter, possibly brought on by the bad coil pack. But, I'm no expert.

Reply to
WayneC

Hello,

Question, did they replace the spark plugs too?

I think Wayne may be correct, and those sparks may have been a result of the converter matrix melting. If you have been surfing around the various Jag forums you probably might have noticed many similar stories.

They seem to go: "Started with a valve cover leak which filled the spark plug holes, coils failed, cats failed."

Description: (Taken from Tenneco) For the entry level Jaguar 3.0 V6 model through to the flagship of the range, the 4.0 V8, Tenneco has developed a twin close coupled catalytic converter and muffler. In addition, for the V8 the company has designed a fabricated air gap insulated manifold which has enabled Jaguar to do away with the traditional heat shield which protects surrounding parts such as the cam cover, steering column and so on. A further advantage of the new manifold is the reduction of light-off time for close coupled converters and semi close coupled converters, offering the capability to achieve more stringent emission standards.

As far as the catalytic converter is concerned, the Jaguar S-type system has been fitted with a monolith converter designed specifically to generate significantly less back pressure and improve engine output. Twin close coupled catalysts deliver low emissions and good fuel economy.

If the converters did fail, take care to inspect for signs that the converter might have blown chucks of matrix into your mufflers resulting with back pressure/blockage. Also it is absolutely stressed to replace your O2 sensors when changing a cat!

It's going to be expensive and taking shortcuts may be like throwing money to the wind.

Best Regards, Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson