chassis number

I need to order a power steering hose for my '91 XJ-6 Jag and the part number in the catalog refers to a chassis number. I have the VIN and other numbers of the inspection plate but cannot find a chassis number. Where do I look for it? Thanks.....

Reply to
Kris Kolhoss

Kris, In order to order parts for your XJ40, the VIN IS the chassis number. If you go back to my 1967 Jag, you will discover that there was no VIN number. There is a chassis, a transmission, a body and an engine number. The common denominator was to use the Chassis number as the VIN. This is in fact what my State uses as the VIN in the title. Some States add the model year in front of the Chassis number to create a VIN.

When ordering parts for my 1988 XJ40, they always ask whether it is a 5 or a 6 chassis/VIN number to determine which part to send. You should do the same thing. I RARELY give out the last 6 digits of my VIN since they are not relevant to the issue of ordering parts

Cheers Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Thanks for the great information!