code 37 then what?

my wife's 94 VDP posted code 37 "EGR solenoid". I changed the solenoid then the car got worse. Wouldn't start cold then wouldn't run at any reasonable speed, till it warmed up. I cleaned the fuel tank, changed the filter, desoldered and resoldered the MAF. The car started right up and on the test drive started acting up again( like it wasn't getting fuel). Got it back to the garage and checked the code......37 came up again. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Joe

Reply to
Gunner

Here is the list of probables from the jag-lovers XJ40 book: Possible faults:

- Blockage in EGR transfer pipe between egr valve and intake manifold,

- Blockage in intake manifold EGR adaptor port (90% of problems),

- Disconnected, leaking, blocked, pinched vacuum hose between,

- EGR valve and the egr vacuum solenoid,

- Defective EGR solenoid valve (stuck),

- Defective EGR valve,

- Defective egr temp sensor,

- Open or short in egr temp sensor wiring.

Most modern cars use exhaust gas into the intake tract to reduce combustion temps and NOx because exhaust gas is inert. It has no fuel or oxygen.

The EGR system ONLY operates when the engine is up to temperature and the engine is under light or moderate loads.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Thank you. I'll check those things. Right now I'm leaning toward the MAF or catalytic converter. I only worked on the MAF connector. I didn't change it. While doing that I noticed one of the wires goes to the EGR solenoid, and just sort of "put two and two together" Where did you get your info? That is pretty detailed. Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Gunner

helps if I read the top......sorry

Reply to
Gunner

Now Gunner. After all you ARE a Jag owner and like the rest of us you are not allowed to read the instructions until you have broken it and all else fails!!!! :-)

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

wakka wakka. I just disconnected the cats and ruled that out. I trimmed the 'flared' part off the EGR vacuum hose......no joy. I'll be playing hooky from work, so I'll get into the guts of it tomorrow.

Reply to
Gunner

wakka wakka. I unhooked the cats and ruled that out, and trimmed the 'flared' part off the EGR vacuum hose. I'm playing hooky from work tomorrow, so I'll get into the guts of it then.

Reply to
Gunner