EMISSIONS: After all that...the results....

Well, I had the 86 XJ6 tested for state emissions as required by LAW. (big whoop)

Here's the results.

HC 521 of 220 PPM FAIL CO .83 of 1.20 PCT PASS CO2 13.66 of 6.0 PCT PASS

Failing any one of the three means ya FAIL here.

My debackle with the plug wires was still worth the trouble, but it didn't help my readings. They were near that figure last time.

Now, what indications do I have on this thing you ask? I have a slightly sporadic (low) idle in gear with my foot on the brake, and I can feel an occassional miss. The exhaust has a little leak but not that bad. The 521 reading was like 1200 a few months ago when I had accidentally put gas from a gas can from home which was intended for a weedwacker and had oil in it! A test a few weeks after that really bad one yielded me a 750 reading after running some good gas and some cleaners through the system. I have ran several several several several tanks of gas (some with cleaner) since and I don't think the 521 number is going to go away without further repairs. I am now looking into a possible sticky injector maybe. Your thoughts?

Reply to
ed

What is the oil consumptionon this engine?

Reply to
Jerry McG

Actually, I'm not 100% sure of the oil consump. but it needs a couple of quarts every couple of months. It doesnt appear to smoke. Having oil in the gas the one time simulated oil blowing by the rings I would imagine, hence that very high number the one time, and I presume this is what your thinking with my oil cosumption? I may agree with this. I do add a lot of oil, and it's not leaking THAT much, if any. Should I stick some oil thickening products in before the next test?

ALso, I should explain the numbers more. (for those not familiar)

My HC is 521. Its supposed to be below 220. BAD

My CO is .83 Its not allowed to be above 1.20 GOOD

My CO2 is 13.66 about should not be below 6.0 GOOD

Reply to
ed

It's very likely your high HC readings are due to exceesive oil consumption. I'd suggest you get a leakdown test to see if there's a ring wear issue. If that's ok, I'd have a look at the valve guides & seals.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I have a good compression gauge, and I saw good static compression at least, but I guess that does mean the leakage is good. I'll report what I find and thanks in advance.

Reply to
ed

High HC with a low CO indicates a lean running condition. This is re-inforced because you speak of a loping idle with a slight miss.

It could be a vacuum leak in the intake system, a out of spec. electronics system, or a failing catalyst. Had it been failing rings or a rich condition your CO would be high too.

DieInterim

Reply to
Blake Dodson