Firing order

Hi All

1988 XJS V12 (UK)

According to my manual and a sticker on the car, the firing order should be.

1A-6B-5A-2B-3A-4B-6A-1B-2A-5B-4A-3B Mine is 1A-2B-5A-4B-3A-1B-6A-5B-2A-3B-4A-6B

According to that I should be running on only 6 cylinders. In about 10 hours from now I'll swap the leads to match the spec. The car seems to run OK at the moment. I'll let you know what the result is, any thoughts until then?

Thanks

Ivar

Reply to
Ivar

Don Young

IMHO, if it's running normally the sequence *can't* be wrong. I would think you're risking damage if you tinker with the sequence.

Reply to
aaa

Hi.

A new dizzy cap has just been put on the car, I recorded the position of each of the twevle leads then put them all back in the same position as the original. It was only out of curiousity that I checked the fireing order. I didn't rearange the order because the car passed it's MOT this morning, including emmisions test, and the engine is running just fine. The strange thing is: The current fireing order bears no ressemblence to the spec. The position of the rotor arm is about 150 degrees away from where it should be when the engine is at top-dead-center (according to the picture in my manual), and according to a timing light, it's running about 60 degrees after-top-dead-center. So - the engine should in no way even start, let alone pass the emmisions tests.

It's a head scratcher :-)

Ivar

Reply to
Ivar

Your 'B' bank is one out of step - they are in sequence though. (write the A and B firing order out separately to see what I mean). This would probably run OK!

Reply to
Phil

Reply to
EdFielder

According to my manual, NO:1 cylinder is at the front of the engine on the right hand side as you look at the front of the engine. Going the way you have said, then the sequence IS RIGHT. But that means the gear box is on the front of the engine, and the Air con pump covers the back two spark plugs. It leads me to believe I've been driving this car backwards for the last 4 years. ;-)

Thanks

Ivar

Reply to
Ivar

Hillarious. But that's probably the explanation. My Haynes (not always right) givs the order as starting from the font and going to the rear. I think the normal convention for other cars is the other way round. But whatever you do, don't try swapping the leads now, as you originally threatened to. IMHO if the car runs normally and passes its emission tests, it *can't* be firing in the wrong order (and the timing *can't* be 60 deg out either.)

Reply to
aaa