front license plate

I bought a 2002 S-type from a different state; it does not have a front license plate bracket. They are required here in California. Is there such a thing as a front license plate bracket, or will I have to drill holes in the bumper?

Reply to
Billy

Interesting; I'm in Uk and assumed all US states didnt require front plates. They do here or one of the Governments ways of bleeding the motorist is forward facing speed cameras!!

Reply to
Gel

No, some states are as good at bleeding the motorist as the UK, and going by what it cost me to register this car, it must be a bragging point for the California DMV. I'm still looking for the bracket, I have learned enough from the net, to know that there is a good chance that I would set off the air bar sensor if I just started drilling into the bumper, so there is a good chance I am going to have to let the dealership do it, no telling what this is going to cost me!

Reply to
Billy

Thanks; there are some very strong adhesives on market such as used in construction market place{amongst many others}; may be worth considering?

Most well known one here is called NoNails; I am sure there are equally good ones that side of pond. If it fails obviously would then be a dealer fix, but may save a few $$$.

Reply to
Gel

Someone here with opposite problem; when he gets off, you could buy that one!

Reply to
Gel

Whoops forgot link, Billy:

Gel

Billy; First you need to find a good independent to do your work, unless you're like other folks in California who enjoy taking it in the shorts. I suggest you obtain the part from the dealer and put in on yourself. If you were willing to drill holes in the bumper, you have the technical ability to install that part. And remember, the Brits built it, so it can't be too complicated.

Reply to
Jon A.

My 1994 XJ12 came from Michigan to Orange County, without front plate bracket or plate holes. I have driven it for 6 years without a front plate. I keep the plate in the trunk.

If you get caught I believe its just a fixit ticket on your first offense, so I would say ignore it until you get caught. It could literally be years before anyone bothers you, cops dont routinely bother drivers of expensive autos just to bicker about your plate. Front plates are BS anyway, you gotta make a statement and fight the MAN.

Our XJS doesnt have a front plate either. Wife drives that every day for 1 year with no problems.

Daniel

1994 XJ12 1995 XJS 4.0 Los Angeles, CA
Reply to
Dsybok