Ghost Groan Sound from Engine

I've got an '88 XJS V12 that has started to make the strangest groaning sound at cold startup (cold days below 40 degrees F). The sound lasts for maybe 2 minutes tops. It goes away under pressure (if for example I accelerate in gear) but returns when I back off on the pressure. The car is in showroom condition with only 40k miles on it ... any ideas what this sound might be? Thanks in advance for any help offered. Rick.

Reply to
RickPiatt

Thanks so much to all for your lack of assistance.

Reply to
RickPiatt

Rick,

If that's your attitude, you don't deserve any assistance. Your post was only a day old before you decided to 'blast' the group. People are not sitting at their PC's solely waiting for your questions. Have a bit of patience and somebody may answer your query (but considering your attitude I doubt it and hope not).

Reply to
BriarfieldSystems

Thanks so much to all for your lack of assistance.

--------------080309080104080901050902--

Reply to
Chris Halpin

I agree BFS, i'm sure I know the problem but................. find out yourself!!, like the man said have a bit of patience.

P.S good luck with the dealers.

;-P

Wilko

Reply to
David Wilkinson

I had this noise on my '86 XJ-S and came to the conclusion it was from the Auxiliary Air Valve. During cold start-up, air passes around and through the valve and is combined downstream. I concluded that somewhere during the warm-up, the two flows hit a resonance causing the piston to vibrate, hence the noise. I did not regard this problem as serious and did nothing about it. It eventually went away. If this is what is causing your problem, you should be able to place a screwdriver or similar listening device on the valve while the noise is present, and, with your ear on the handle, you should hear it loud and clear. Brian

Reply to
bstewart2

Send me your credit card number, I'll reply then.

Paul

Reply to
Thumper

You better avoid usenet, then.