Handbrake 51 plate X-type 2.5 SE

Hi I have the above car and the handbrake is crap! but I can't see how to adjust it!

Anyone describe what to do please? ( and I don't meant drive it to a garage!) How do you adjust them?

Thanks

Reply to
Adrian

Don't know about the UK, but there was a recent recall to replace handbrake levers in the US on manual gearbox cars. Yours might be subject to the same.

As for adjustment, it is supposed to be automatic. The adjustment lever is at the caliper and acts on the piston. It's a stupid design, similar to Audi's, which I hate.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

In article , C.R. Krieger writes

Yes, there was one in the UK.

Concern : MODIFICATION OF HANDBRAKE LEVER Description : Vehicles with manual transmission having been parked on an incline with the handbrake on and the vehicle out of gear may sometime later roll away. Due to the brake components contracting as they cool. Remedial Action : Recall likely to be affected vehicles and replace the automatic adjuster with a manual system. Vehicle Id : SAJAD53L21WC00294 to SAJAB53L63WD03128

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

Thanks to both of you.

I have just call Jag who confirmed the recall in the UK as of Nov 2004, so I have booked it in to have it done FOC.

As an aside a friend of mine also has a 2.5 SE Manual and it went into "limp home mode" he was told that the problem was due a bug in the firmware of the ECU and a patch is due out!? it is cause by flicking the cruise control on and off very quickly or so the dealer told him! I mention this to Jag also but they say they don't know of the problem.

thanks

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Just to say I had the hand brake recall done and the its never worked so well as it does now :) thanks

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian