Ignition probs

I have a 4.0l 1995 Sovereign which obviously has an ignition problem. It broke down in me twice, once after only a 3 mile drive where it wouldn't restart after about half an hour. I have returned it to the dealer as it is under warranty (a side-of-the-road dealer) Their service has been excellent so far but after three weeks they still cannot fathom the problem. Is there an inherrent problem with this type of car and if so does anyone know what causes it please?

Many thanks

Reply to
Ows123 via CarKB.com

One common point of failure is the crank position sensor.

Reply to
WayneC

Thanks Wayne. Passed this on yesterday and they say that was one of the first things they tried. Bearing in mind they've had this car going on 4 weeks, at what point do I say enough is enough.

Reply to
Ows123 via CarKB.com

Assuming you know it's ignition (you don't say how you know that), and the car refuses to even try to restart,even with starter fluid sprayed into the intake (to verify it's not a fuel issue), my next guess would be a coil... unfortunately they are not cheap at around $160 (unless you could find one in a junk yard you could try), or possibly a distributor rotor. But there are other possibilities, like a short to the electrical supply wire to the coil, or a bad relay, or even an oil pressure switch or temperature sensor. Are there no dashboard warning codes?

Yes, 4 weeks is more patience than I'd have, but intermittent failures are very hard to diagnose. Even crank position failures can be intermittent. How did they "try" it without a hard failure? If this dealer shop doesn't normally deal with Jaguars, I'd ask them to take it to a shop that does, or at least consult with one. After all, is their warranty void just because THEY can't fix it themselves?

Reply to
WayneC

Thanks Wayne. All the indications are an ignition failure, it turns over and tries to fire but doesn't quite make it. Evidently it is not a fuel problem as that's been checked. There was no dashboard warning prior to the event. My initial feeling was something like a typical short around the plug/HT area, where insulation is breaking down and not all the full 50000 volts is getting to the ignition point on the plugs. They assure me they have checked this and I have no reason to doubt them. I think what I will do is give them until the weekend and if not fixed by then advise that I will get it recovered to a Jag dealer, get them to fix it and send the bill to this outfit. Thanks for your help thus far.

Reply to
Ows123 via CarKB.com