Imploded gas tank

Hi group,

My mech buddy and I have just removed the left-hand gas tank on my 85 III VDP because it was leaking. We were suprised to see deep creases on both sides of the tank. The flexing of the metal had caused a seam to crack. My question to you folks is; what could cause such a vacuum to bend up such a robust tank? By the way, there was a sticker on the tank that showed that it was replaced in 1991. I have been having odd problems with switching back and forth between R and L tanks. Thanks

DBR

Reply to
Dale Robertson

I'd guess at a blocked tank vent, the fuel injection pumps on the series III are strong enough to collapse the tank.

Reply to
Lee Borgea

Agreed. I would look into the evaporative charcoal canister assy. for blockage. Some even used a small solenoid valve for the purgeing of the canister.

Not a fun job chasing all of the hoses and checking the lines for blockage.

Good luck.

Reply to
DieInterim

I had such a problem some years ago. I have been told that it was due to the fact that the pipe allowing the tank to be in relation with atmospheric pressure was dirty and, due to that, the balance between internal pressure and external pressure was impossible. This in combination with the low internal pressure due to the action of the fuel pump creates a vacuum the tank is unable to resist to.

Excuse my poor english

"Dale Robertson" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca...

Reply to
Emmanuel Gabolde