Jaguar's final days (?)

Jaguar's final days (?) see following article:

Juan Mortyme

There have been articles like this since Ford bought Jaguar in 1989. There are a couple of marques waiting in the wings including Renault -- who, after buying Nissan, turned that line into a winner again.

IF Jag should go down the tubes, it will only make the ones we all own worth all the more!!

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

What a load of crap. This worshipper of the Almighty Dollar probably drives a BMW.(Big Money Waste).

Jeremy Clarkson says the XK is fine, Clarkson rules, ok? huddo

Reply to
John Hudson

Juan has his head up his ass. Bet he's never even driven a Jag. If Mercedes can sell its SL600 for $120k, which is easliy outpaced by the new much lower priced XKR, then Jaguar is in fine shape.

KK

Reply to
Kevin Killebrew

Up yours mate!!

I'm the proud owner of a brand new X-Type but am concerned on how the resale value will be impacted if Jaguar goes belly-up. I just quoted an article from the cnn/fortune site and actually put a question mark wanting to hear other people's thoughts on the article.

Juan

Reply to
Juan Mortyme

Juan, You must learn to ignore slings and barbs on these UUNET postings.

The odds that Jaguar will be dropped by Ford are rather slim given the current amount of money, time and re-tooling that Ford has recently spent. They stated from the beginning that it was going to take time to get Jag back up as a viable producer. The ratings of these cars have steadily improved over the years as well. As for Ford's financial status -- they made Billions in profits last year -- over all. While the auto side lost money for the most part -- the financial side and other related businesses MORE than made up for it.

As for the resale of your X-Type, I don't believe the status of Jaguar would make much difference. Much would depend upon what happened to the marque -- whether it was bought or disappeared. Let's assume it disappeared. I would think that Ford would continue warranty service -- which would actually be a plus as far as I am concerned -- considering how bad Jaguar service is. If Jag disappeared, the re-sale would go down but would then bounce back up again as Jags have always been collector's items.

I don't, however, think it is something you need to be concerned about.

I currently own 3 Jaguars and I am not concerned!!

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Sorry! I did not mean you Juan - I meant the writer of the article.... my mistake!

Reply to
Kevin Killebrew

If Jag were to go belly up, Ford is legally required to maintain warranty service and they were required to have at least ten years worth of parts stored up in order to sell the car new in the first place so I would not worry about running the car.

However, the resale value of the car would plummet as did Oldsmobiles and many years ago, Merkurs.

The chances of the Jaguar brand not being bought by another company and operated by them as a manufacturer, if Ford decided to sell, are pretty much zero. Jag is a great brand and a great competitor. It has tremendous value on the market and will continue to be sold into the future, and alot of buyers could run it better then Ford.

Reply to
Hazey

Outside of all this talk of Jaguar "going away"...I would like to cite a Web article I read a bit back from Forbes indicating that the X-Type made the 2005 top 10 list for "worst resale value".

Personally, I own a Jaguar S Type R.

Reply to
Michael

What I don't understand is why the X-Type has failed to catch on in the US. It's a beautiful looking car, and the only Jaguar that most of us could ever hope to afford. Who cares if it's a rebadged Mondeo? I would live with that in order to get a Jag for a price just north of 30K. I guess the upside to the X-Type's rapid depreciation is that you can get a fabulous deal on the purchase of a slightly used example (as long as you don't care about resale value when it comes time to part ways). Unfortunately, although I love Jaguars, the current condition of the marque prevents me from buying one. I would be too apprehensive to buy a car that may not exist in five years. At $80,000, I don't think the XK will help much. Cut that price in half; however, and Jag would make the comeback of the century............

Reply to
Sills