Jaguar won't Idle --- help

1985 Jaguar XJ6 Notes

problems: trouble starting.. will not idle below 1700 rpms will start at high rpms ...I can slowly lift up my pedal..and when it goes below...about 1700 the engine cuts out

things recently done:

new spark plug wires new catylytic convertor changed distributer - used changed starter relays - new changed fuel pressure regulater-new changed fuel pump-new changed starter relays-new changed ecu -used throttle sensor - used accelerator cable-used changed spark plugs changed amplifier module-used /new changed oil and filter changed hose next to air flow meter checked air flow meter with used one changed air filter

Reply to
Socalsoc

I don't see mention of the fuel filter being changed.

Reply to
WayneC

fuel filter changed about a year ago, thanks

Reply to
FUJTSHIRTS

oh...I also just changed the air intake breather hose...

when I stop the engine there seems to be some oil burning coming from the left side of the engine...

Reply to
FUJTSHIRTS

Are these all things that have been done to try to fix the idle problem, or is the idle problem something that started during or after changes done for other reasons?

Did you try a fuel injector cleaner?

Maybe it's time to take it to a qualified Jag technician.

Reply to
WayneC

Reply to
Pam & Chris

In light of these symptoms and all the parts that have been changed I suggest you look for a rather large vacuum leak. That means tracing all vacuum lines attached to the intake manifold and perhaps temporarily plugging any suspects to determine or eliminate them as a possible cause. The power brake is probably the largest vacuum powered item and don't forget that it has a vacuum reserve tank - somewhere.

What's this oil smoke you mention. Where's the leak? Valve cover?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Dont forget to check the bellows and intake elbow!

Reply to
DieInterim