Leak on Driver's Side??

After letting the snowstorm melt off my 1994 XJ6, I found a puddle of water in the driver footwell. It has never leaked before, not from going thru car washes nor sitting in Northwest rain storms. I got it all dried out. then it rained last night and, lo and behold (what does "lo" mean??), more water in the footwell. Can anyone give me a clue where it might be leaking in from? And why it suddenly appeared after all these years? Thanks.

Reply to
pdb

'Lo' is similar to 'look', as in look; see; behold; observe. "Lo and behold" is a fancy way of saying "look and see", or "step right up and see".

As for the water, if it was a Series III I'd suspect the windscreen, but I don't know about the later cars. Why all of a sudden implies something dried out, cracked, shifted, etc....

Reply to
William Watson

Possibly a blocked drain so that the water doesn't drain out through the little tube at the back of the front wheel arch. On a UK car it comes in on the passengers side and pours over the ECU.

Reply to
PH

If it is like my 91 model, there is a duck bill drain on the engine side of the firewall that gets clogged. That can cause water to enter parts of the system it shouldn't.

Also there is a drain on both sides of the transmission hump right about where you right knee is. This clears out the blowers. You have to pull back some of the carpet on the side of the hump to get access to it. There is a rubber joint that can be separated and the system can be blown clear.

Dave

PH wrote:

Reply to
dave

Thank you very much for the help. I can't wait till Saturday when I can get at it! Paul

Reply to
pdb

The "duckbill" will bre visible directly below the wiper motor on the firewall. LOL.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Pearson

Dick Pearson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Incontinence is another clue..

Reply to
Livewire

On my '94 XJ6, I found a pair of drain hoses in the front door hinge area. They are only a couple of inches long and they empty onto a rubber flap which routes the water away from the hinge itself, and directs it to pour down the open area around the hinges.

I couldn't find anything under the wiper motor. As the footwell dries out, the last area to dry is the outside edge, along the door sill. This leads me to believe the hoses by the xmission hump are OK. Make sense?

Reply to
pdb