Mark 2 - Hawthorn Joint warning

I posted something like this before about the rubber coupling in the Mark 2, and presumably Mark 1's as well, steering column. Since then, I have pulled mine out and found it to have only about half the rubber still intact. The consequences of this coupling giving way are potentially fatal (It's called the Hawthorn Joint because the famous F1 driver, Mike Hawthorne, was killed in his road car when his failed in 1959). Am I being alarmist ? Should all Mark 1/2 owners be made aware. The replacement isn't difficult and the part not expensive. Graham L

Reply to
Graham L

Interesting theory. Where did you read that? It almost certainly isn't factual. Most accepted theory is simple driver error whilst trying to keep ahead of Rob Walker's 300SL. Nixon postulates a stuck throttle - Mike had recently had a hand throttle fitted. Some people believe Mike passed out at the wheel......he was dying slowly from kidney problems. Never heard this one before, or of the 'Hawthorn joint'.

David Betts ( snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk) The Classic Car Gallery:

830847103&n98038677

Reply to
David Betts

830847103&n98038677 Well! Sounds like another urban myth is alive and well in Australia. The first story was told to me as "a famous driver" being killed, then two separate suppliers, one in Melbourne and the other in Sydney told me it was called the Hawthorn joint and their reason. Your story is less colourful but doesn't sell as many spare parts perhaps. It concerned me that if it had been a Mark 1 it would have been no more than 4 years old in 1959, and a Mark 2 would have been virtually new.

Reply to
Graham L

The car in which Mike died was his regular special equipment 3.4 compact saloon - retrospectively referred to as a Mk 1. It was effectively the factory development car and one in which he had won a number of production car races. It was a very well maintained car. The accident and his subsequent death was very high profile. He was, after all, the reigning World Champion. I don't doubt that if a mechanical fault had been identified as the cause it would have come out at the inquest. Also, that any design fault would therefore have been rectified for the Mk2.

David Betts ( snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk) The Classic Car Gallery:

830847103&n98038677

Reply to
David Betts

830847103&n98038677 I had the same thoughts exactly. I have since pulled my coupling out. It was pretty well shot and broke apart as I was getting the bolts out. It may well have broken in operation one day but the construction is such that, although the steering would be affected, it would never completely decouple. I think we can definitely mark the story down to urban myth and I promise not to call it a Hawthorn joint ever again. Graham L

Reply to
Graham L