Mark 2 steering column

I was talking to someone today who told me that the rubber coupling between the upper and lower steering columns in a Mark 2 can part and leave you with no steering. Is this true? Also, I'm about to replace the front coil springs. Are there any worthwhile upgrades without making the ride harsher? GrahamL

Reply to
Graham & Ronda Lyons

My MK 2 has steel uni joint type coupling but has PS so can't comment on the rubber joint. I tried King Springs which were "standard height" but this lifted the car beyond standard and also made the ride a bit hard and after giving it 12 months to settle have now gone back to the standard old springs. One thing I would advise against (unfortunately I did not heed the same advise) is to steer clear of neoprene steering and suspension bushes, they add a level of harshness that cannot be too good for the rest of the car or the passengers, go with the standard rubber. Good luck Peter

Reply to
Pete

Mine has the two steel universals but in between there is a rubber coupling which yours may have too, Pete, if my workshop manual is to be believed. Having removed the air filter today and had a closer look at the coupling it doesn't look to be in great condition. The thought of the two ends of the steering column separating at speed is pretty scary.

Graham L

Reply to
Graham & Ronda Lyons

I've also found out that this coupling is kinopwn as the "Hawthorne Joint" because it was this joint that failed on a road going Mark 1 or 2 that resulted in the death of the famous British racing car driver, Mike Hawthorn in 1959. Which makes his coupling only a few years old at most!

Graham L

Reply to
Graham & Ronda Lyons