need advice about shady dealer

My father bought a previously leased '99 xjr a few years ago with about

30k miles on it. there were a couple of problems that we noticed relatively early including the exhaust having white smoke in it for maybe a minute after a cold start. Since the car was under warranty we took it in but they didn't fix the problem claiming it was normal.

Fast forward to last week: we took the car in again because it was still leaking oil (a problem they attempted to fix a few months prior), and told them to take another look at the smoke issue because we'd convinced ourselves it indeed wasn't normal. Well, now they claim the problem is related to the o-rings, and this is causing abnormal internal pressure which is also why the oil gaskets keep failing. Now that the car is no longer under warranty they say we need a new engine, ~$9-10k.

Also making the situation seem a little odd is that while they claim the problem was probably caused by the previous owner failing to follow the maintenance schedule, or otherwise abusing the car, that jaguar will put ~$3500 toward the replacement. Why would they do that if they're under no obligation?

So currently the jaguar dealer is denying that we had previously complained about the white smoke, and thusly failing to take responsibility for not fixing it while it was under warranty. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed?

Thanks

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Solochek