New to the Jaguar family!

Hello all,

I have just purchased my first Jaguar. She is a 2002 X-Type Sport 2.5 British Green with Tan interior. Absolutely a wonderful machine. I must admit I was a little ify at first. I have come from driving a BMW and a Saab to this. Actually, she is for my wife, but I am definitly a lot more fond of the car than I thought I would be.

When I got her she had just under 48,000 miles and for good. After a few days driving her around I made a list of about 15 "issues" that needed attention. All were minor things like one of the seat adjustments wouldn't work (gears were stripped), but I did have a small oil leak. Turns out, a seal was blown and was repair/replaced under the warranty. I was told that this would normally have cost $2-3K to repair had it not been under warranty.

As I have said, I come from BMW and Saab so I am "used" to paying somewhat more for service and/or repairs, but I must admit, I was a little shocked at that price tag. That brings me to what I wanted to ask about...

I have until 49,000 miles to purchase an extended warranty through Easy Care (owned by Ford). The terms are negotiable as far as time/mileage and whatnot and the price tag would be set accordingly. Given the example above of what that seal would have cost to replace, I am inclined to seriously consider purchasing this warranty where in the past I have alwasy just paid the bill myself.

My question directly is: does anyone have one of these warranties (Easy Care specifically)? If so, what is or has been your experience with it/them? I am interesed in the Total Care package since it would cover damn near anything wrong with the vehicle as long as I wasn't negligent in mainenance.

Just for good measure, I drive my vehicles for length. When I sold my BMW, she had over 185,000 miles. My Saab currently is just over

190,000. So I do plan on owning this vehicle to duration, if that makes any difference on the input provided.

Thanks for any information you can offer...

David

Reply to
toofas

I don't nor have ever owned a Jaguar, but one is on my short list of possible replacements for my VW within 3 years (after my wife's SUV is paid off). However, when I hear about a $3000 oil leak at 48,000 miles, this scares me, and makes me wonder what the same problem would cost on a Taurus. What would a warranty to 100,000 cost from Ford on an X-Type, anyway? It sounds like a sensible investment for potential Jag owners. Still, the fact that you like the Jaguar despite this is encouraging. VW loyalists are quite similar. We are forgiving for a few flaws.

Reply to
Sills

thanks all for the replies. i am capable of doing basic work on the vehicles. in fact, for the BMW and Saab both I do as much of the scheduled maintenance that I can so there is less time and cost involved for the tech to do. usually that is changing/flushing fluids, plugs, filters, etc. i don't know anything about brakes so i don't go there... lol.

i used to live in Tulsa and was rather spoiled by a tech i had servicing the Saab. he is Griffin certified and mainly works on higher end vehicles. it was his own private shop with a partner and were half the labor of a dealership. they also didn't mind me bringing in parts for them to install if i could get them cheaper than they could. i know a chunk of their revenue is from parts, so i didn't do that too often... ;-) i would leave their place literally able to feel the renewed strength of the car. i miss them a lot.

i am now in colorado springs and i haven't found anyone independantly yet... :-( i am going to talk to the rep at the dealer and see what we're looking at cost wise for the warranty, but i have a feeling i will be as shocked as i was at the seal repair.... wish me luck!

Reply to
toofas