New Xtype Diesel Broken down after 8 days and 297 miles

I received my New XType SE Diesel on the 6th September 2003(Earlier than the launch date of 10th September) The engine is the same as that fitted to my Ford Mondeo TDCI Zetec S.(Part Exchanged for the Jaguar) The timing cover even has a Ford Stamp on it. The car has just Broken Down after 8 Days and 297 miles. The fault is the same as what happens with the Mondeo TDCI and my own Mondeo TDCI.(The Mondeo was fixed with a new ICU) (Ignition Control Unit)

The Jaguar engine turns over, the glowplug light flashes but it does not start. After 3 tries it is OK The engine has also cutout several times for no reason or will start and run for approx 10 seconds.

What astounds me is why Jaguar are using a Ford Engine/ICU combination that is know to have the above problems !!! The car is with the dealer awaiting a repair and probably a new ICU PS the Diesel, when running, is a lot quicker than the 2.5 V6 XType loan car I have been given.

Reply to
markellis

Hi

interedted to hear about your diesel....not becuase of the fault because of the claim of it's speed!

I have a 2.5 V6 se and it is quicker than my old mondeo 2.0l Ghia X (which is definately quicker than a 2.0 litre diesel mondeo)

I did however get a manual as I tried an auto and found that it was about as quick as a snail in a tired mood!

Just interested if they gave you a manual or an auto as a runabout......and if the diesel is manual or auto.....maybe I should go test drive one!

However i will say that the 2.5 manual I have doesn't feel fast until i look at the speedo and think...'bloody hell I'd better slow down'. I suppose it is just quieter than my mondeo.

Wonder how many mondeo drivers swap to an X-type?

Pete

Reply to
pmarshall

Pete, My diesel Jag is manual and the loan car is manual as well. Just been for another spin in the V6 and it is definately not as quick as the Diesel. Mark

Reply to
markellis

And how many who do suddenly think they have elevated their status in society?

At least the Mondeo is honest to itself.

Reply to
Tim

interesting...the stats don;t bare that out...top speed and acceleration......not just jag figures but whatcar and topgear etc...they also say that the jag diesel is not as quick as the BMW 320d either...

Maybe I should give one a go!

But still I love my Jag

Pete

Reply to
pete

That's a matter of opinion..I bought the jag for a few reasons..

1) I drive a lot of miles so I want something that's comfortable (as was the mondeo)

2) As above the residuals..my mondeo with 118,000 miles on the clock was worth sod all and (due to interest rates 4 years ago) I ended up paying the same per month for the jag as the mondeo.

3) The jag is smoother and quicker than my mondeo

4) I don't see it as an elevation in society...I'm not that shallow...I just liked it better than anything else I drove

5) The level of service (so far) from the Jag dealer is way above what I got from the ford dealer.

So why isn't the jag honest to itself....if it was a crap car I'd have bought the audi/bmw/merc/lexus that I tried....after all who wants to drive

20-odd thousand miles a year in a crap car (no matter what the 'status')

I take it you don't own/haven't driven a jag......or that you think 'modeo drivers' shouldn't be allowed to buy one!

Pete

Reply to
pete

"pete" wrote in news:bkibje$7i9$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com:

You missed an important one, Pete. You get noticed in a Jaguar. No-one would give a second look to a Mondeo :-)

Reply to
Ron McGrice

true....!!!

Reply to
pete

I have been driving REAL Jaguars for longer than I can remember. The smallest engine was a 4.0L supercharged and the biggest was a 6.0L V12. What annoys me are the people who think they have made it now that they have a 2.0L front wheel drive X-Type (1/3rd Mondeo) on their drive.

I test drove a brand new XJR recently with a view to replacing my existing one. Go and try one yourself and you will understand what I am going on about.

The X-Type sales are falling off rapidly as people realise there are better cars out there for the money.

Reply to
Tim

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Tim) wrote in news:ffb1c1ac.0309211205.362b96 @posting.google.com:

Tim, You are going to have to accept the fact that all Jaguars now have some Ford influence. There are NO REAL Jaguars anymore. All the ones I have, are models Sir William had seen :-)

Ron

Reply to
Ron McGrice

Tim

Guess I was right about your attitude to mondeo drivers....FYIi I could afford an XJR or something like that but the fact that I've opted out of the company scheme precludes me from doing so...too many rules stating what I can and can't have, engine sizes etc.

I guess that you (unlike jaguar) think that the inclusion of the x-type in the range undermines the snobbish-ness of the car you drive....that being the case it's you who have the problem not the ex-mondeo drivers....

P.S thats the last i'm saying about it......

Reply to
pete

I've been watching this thread and holding back about long enough regarding your trash talking the X-Type and those who own them.

Well, whoop-tee-doo for you! I'm happy for you. Glad to hear that you've "made it."

What annoys ME, however, are arrogant individuals like you who look down their noses at others as demonstrated by your post above.

-Mark Feeling very much like I've "made it" with an X-Type in my drive.

(Remove @home from email address)

Reply to
M. E. Bye

I haven't "made it", I just managed to achieve a school boy dream. I used to get a lift to school in the 70's with a friend who's father had an XJ6. I used to sit in the back gazing in awe at the style and beauty. I don't think school boys today would do the same in the back of an X-Type.

I had to laugh on the way home tonight when I passed a car transporter going the other way. Guess what, all of the cars on it were either X-Type's or Mondeo's. Sums it up for me.

Reply to
Tim

Another big difference between you and me... I'm not trying to impress school boys. Apparently, the thought of us "paupers" sharing a little of the Jaguar panache with you is threatening. So be it.

(Remove @home from email address)

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Ford owns Jaguar so you'll see Ford parts on them.

Reply to
Mhooks10