Pinging

Exposing my ignorance here but...my Mk2 has started to ping rather badly. I've just recently replaced the frying pan air filter with some sports filters. The appearance of the pinging and the air fliter change might have been coincidental. I notice in the manual they advise different amounts of advance when setting the timing for different air filters - the oil air filter as opposed to the paper one. Would my changing to the sports filters mean I need to change the ignition timing?

GrahamL

Reply to
Graham L

Hello Graham,

Changing to free breathing air filters on older cars will affect air/fuel mixture. This will show up as pinging caused by a leaner mixture. More restrictive air filters contribute to richen to air/fuel ratio which explains why engines run different when the air filters are removed. Computerized cars just simply adjust themselves.

So to correct this pinging you should begin with adjusting your carbs for a slightly richer mixture and then begin the timing retardation process. Oh, and while you are under the hood inspect the distributor for any wear.

Cheers,

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

Thanks, Blake. The distributor has just been rebuilt and the explanation is obvious when you explain it. I'm still glad I don't have a computer.

Graham the Luddite

Reply to
Graham L

Why is that? Computers are now completely reliab098r3do587k0p59809l8poi8l9wka9octr8aw98g9sgdd

0983qp94809s8-0x9-0[9LE0F9FILENOTFOUNDSYNTAXERROR
Reply to
Hans Niesen-Bumpsadesi