Proper way to inspect fron suspension

I would like to find a resource that would give me instructions as to inspect the front end suspension on an XKE.

Is the current method applicable? That is, jacking up the right side, grasping the wheel and jiggling it. Then dropping the right side, jacking up the left and jiggling it.

It seems to be a very crude method. I seem to remember that the XKE suspension had to be loaded in some way to give a proper test.

Al

Reply to
Al

I don't know about the XKE but I do remember that the 1957 Oldsmobile came with lower ball joints that had no internal springs and depended on the weight of the car to keep tensioned. I finally replaced perfectly good ball joints with aftermarket spring loaded ones because every alignment shop insisted on jacking the car up, removing the loading, and finding them loose. This in spite of the manufacturers instructions to check them with weight on the wheels. So what you are suggesting is certainly reasonable. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young