Question about fuel consumption ... (ish)

Hi guys, I asked this on another Jaguar forum before I realised they were nearly all American so if I'm allowed, I'll ask again here where proper people hang out, lol.

I have a hankering for a 2.9 or 3.2 XJ6 of about 1988 to 1992 vintage but 'Er indoors says it will be way too expensive to run. I have convinced her that the insurance won't be much difference and it wasn't all that big a lie because we are both in our late 50's with full no claims. So it really boils down to fuel consumption. I have tried to explain that figures in a leaflet are not really accurate and that you need answers from the people who actually drive Jaguars every day, both for a run down to the shops and a 300 mile motorway cruise. So, what I'm looking for is Fuel economy figures from people who drive Jaguars. Preferably people who, like me, drive as though there is a raw egg under the accelerator. One of my joys in life, and there aren't many, is watching the trip computer click up to an average of 57.0 MPG, lol. So c'mon, Guys. Help me get a Jag. Steve

Reply to
i_hate_gardening

In message , i_hate snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

I had a 1987 3.6 auto and kept records. It averaged 20.6 MPG over 54,000 miles, about half and half around town and motorways.

Reply to
David Toft

Ouch, that isn't helping, lol Please tell me you always started off as though it was a drag race.

Reply to
i_hate_gardening

Steve, David is pretty right on the mark. My 18 year old son drives my '88 XJ40 and we have been keeping track. It does 27 Hwy (70 MPH) and about 19-20 City. (US gallon) If you are buying a car on petrol mileage then go elsewhere. These are BIG heavy cars and you are going to sacrifice mileage for that. Stay away from the 2.9 or the 3.2 and go with the 3.6 from '87 to '89 or the 4.0 from '90 to '94. They are better built and the mileage variation is not worth the aggravation with the smaller engine. A LARGE number of XJ40 owners in the UK have converted to dual fuel petrol/LPG. This has brought the cost per gallon down a tremendous amount and since you aren't looking for rocket take-offs this may be the way for you to go. You do sacrifice some boot space, however. When it all comes down to it, it is simple a matter of what you want. I have a friend in Sussex who drives a '91 or '92 Daimler double Six and wouldn't think of getting rid of it!!

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Have a look at these

185&itemE53999952&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
185&itemE54009574&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
185&itemE53816263&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW no affiliation on my end - just to give you some idea - please take any claims with a pinch of salt ;-)

I'm running a '92 XJ40 4.0L Sovereign on petrol and agree - they are heavy thirsty cars, you'll probably get about 20mpg in the city and

23-25mpg on the motorways.

I'd also look into classic car insurance (if your able to limit your mileage) as they're over 12 years old. the Jaguar enthusiasts club have a fantastic deal running with Footman James,

which you can use to 'compensate' for the increased fuel costs. I think you can pay an additional premium for extra mileage allowance though. HTH and that you find what you're looking for!

Shahid

Reply to
Shahid Karim

Steve has a wife in the same mould as mine. They love the Jag image but not paying either in money or time spent working on them.

Steve, just go out there and get a Jag, she will love it.

Stu

Reply to
stuart adair

Stu... It isn't worth it, mate. I did that a few years ago with an old (OK, very old) Merc and life wasn't worth living for about 6 months, lol Oh, except when she got to drive it, of course, lol

Reply to
i_hate_gardening