Radio Spec

Hi All.

I have a 1988 XJS (UK spec), in the car is what looks like the original radio cassette player. I say this because of the leaping Jag logo on the cassette cover flap. I am thinking of changing this so that I can have a updated radio and CD player. Or may be a multi changer in the boot. Would a standard size player fit in the slot? and (bear in mind I'm no expert) what is the spec of the size or fitting? What is "D" & "E" spec?

Thanks for any input

Ivar

Reply to
Ivar

I am not an expert in this, but here's what I found while pondering the same issue. My american '84 XJS acceped a standard DIN size radio. There is some concern about the depth into the console, though, as the used radio I chose was actually too tight a fit. It extends out of the console perhaps a half-inch, but looks fine (no ugly rough edges showing) and doesn't interfere with the shift lever (although it might interfere with CD insertion if the lever is in the "park" position). I kept it anyway.

Most cars, at least here in the US and, I think, Germany (and possibly the UK) have standard DIN or double-height DIN openings.

Here's a link with some info on standards:

Here's another (look down the page at the "DIN-size" paragraphs.

The used radio/CD player I purchased came with a sleeve that fit into a DIN opening, and also a faceplate that dressed up the exterior edges. I was able to look up some installation instructions for several radios and discovered the wire colors were standardized, too, which allowed me to easily solder the new radio wire harness to the old radio's pigtail to make a plug-in adapter harness that didn't disturb the vehicle harness.

One more concern... if I recall correctly, my radio had a 45watt output, and many newer car radio/cd players have much higher wattage, which could present a fire danger to vehicle wiring (high current input required) and endanger the speakers themselves, so I was careful to choose a unit with nearly the same output as the old one (I think the info was printed on a paper glued to the old radio) as I did not want to get into rewiring the vehicle.

Reply to
WayneC