Re: Buying a Jaguar XJS

> Again, thanks for your comments and insight, you've clearly done a

>lot of homework on the subject. >Thanks. Actually, it was a bit more than "homework". I was with Jaguar Cars >in the States from '86 - '00 and aside from being involved with the factory >on service issues, I drove many XJS's as company cars. Despite all it's >flaws, it was a great car whose quality problems and lack of development >always worked against it. FWIW, in '67 I bought a spanking new E-Type and >have always used that marvelous vehicle as the benchmark as to what a Jaguar >truly was....they haven't come close since, though the XKR is a nice try! > >The V12 was a heavy beast, but if set up properly ran like a thoroughbred, a >real masterpiece. Now, if the oil would just stay INSIDE the engine! >

Being the owner of a '79 XJ-S for the last 3 years, I can attest to the truth of your statements :-)

Fortunately I live 2 blocks from one of the best XJ-S repair shops in the Midwest (Speciality Sport Cars in Columbus OH) so I benefit from all the wonderful things this car can do when set up correctly... The V-12 is damn tear a turbine in smoothness and generates great torque.

As to oil leaks, well, oil is cheap.

(Was just in Speciality last month... they had 3 E-types in the shop, a I, a II, and a III... nice cars. But the D-Type they had was a lot prettier!)

Reply to
bill

Its all subjective but here is my take on Jaguars. By the way , before I start let me make it very clear that I love Jaguars, in a passionate emotive way ( thanks why I spend so much bloody money on them ) To me they are the poor mans Aston, not the best but you just have to have one!!

Having driven lots of Jaguars over the years, E types, XK's, XJ 6. XJS. XJ40, XK8, the car that has stood out for me is the V12 XJS. Its the perfect blend of styling ( I drive a convertible ), comfort, space and speed. they are also a bargain 2nd hand and there is no reason why I'm not going to own mine forever, if it gets tired buy a new engine, paint dulls get it sprayed etc. Its always going to be worth keeping it going as its always going to be desirable and turn heads

Its flawed, all Jags are. Its outdated, something that normally happens as soon as they are produced. Its expensive, not only to buy new and suffer horrendous depreciation but to maintain one in top fettle takes copious amounts of wad.

BUT Jags are gorgeous, my head tells me to buy Mercedes. Each similar car technically more advanced than a Jag. Each Mercedes is better built with finer quality parts. Mercedes generally maintain a slower and lower depreciation curve. I don't buy Mercedes I buy Jaguars. I want Mercedes but there is a Jag I caould buy. I want my Jaguar to be as well built as a Mercedes, but hey I still love it ITS A JAG. Everyone remembers a ride in a Jaguar, everyone knows someone who owns a Jag, flash, reckless, whatever. Jaguar is a love story from start to finish

Nick

-- Nick Bennett buys 007 memorabilia The Biggest Online Bond Collection @

Nick

"Nick" wrote in news:RrEdc.50451$ snipped-for-privacy@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

Poor mans Aston Martin!

You have to be joking, I would'nt be seen dead in a bloody poofy Aston Martin. Sheeesh!!!

Reply to
Jagwire