re: helpppp

To review, 1988 xj6 3.6 engine, quit and wouldn't restart. Towed home. Had spark at #1 cyl same time as comppresion. Put in new plugs, wires, dist cap & rotor anyway. (they were pretty old) #6 cyl was FULL of gas, me thinks, bad injector. replace injector. Drop oil, had approx one gallon of gas in it !!! Dry out cyls with compressed air, crank it over, no fire. Pull plugs, all plugs soaked with gas !! Anybody got an idea on where to look next?

New development, got most of the gas out of the cylinders, put the spark plugs back in, and unpluged all the wires to the injectors. Fired right up and ran for a secound til the gas was gone, fired it up again on starting ether. So it appears that it is just getting too much gas. Getting closer, I think?

Replaced fuel regulator, no help. Injectors have a continuse 12 volts to them. My parts guy says there is a resistor pack in there that could be bad? The temp sensor for the injectors reads zero resistance, but I put a 100k resistor in line and that didn't help. Saw a ford Maverick on Craigs list, getting tempted!!!

terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

Are there any fault codes? Haven't the time to help today(or the expertise, really), but take a look at the online XJ40 book at

...especially section 10.15 and section 11.

Reply to
WayneC

I have no specific idea what your problem might be. The following description is for my 1990 4.0 but I think is the same for your engine. The injectors are all connected to +12volts when the ignition is on. A meter or test light with one lead connected to ground should indidcate 12 volts at all injector terminals when the ignition is on and the engine is not running. The injectors are all opened when the engine control computer grounds one terminal of all the injectors. In other words, the injectors are switched on the ground side, all at the same time. The "NOID" injector test lights plug in to the injector harness and are real handy to tell if the injectors are being pulsed. Be sure you get one which fits your injector connector.

You can disable fuel delivery by pulling the fuel pump relay. On my car it is above the glove box, on some it is in the engine compartment.

Excess fuel could be caused by too much pressure. Since you replaced the regulator, another cause might be a blocked return line from the regulator back to the tank. It would be good to check the pressure but this takes some special fittings and a gauge.

The injectors could be leaking, but all at the same time seems very unlikely.

The injectors could be opening for too long. This could be caused by wrong data to the computer. I do not know what the normal resistance for the temperature sensor is but it is not zero ohms. I would explore this further and trouble codes should help.

I would not suspect the resistor pack, if one is fitted.

Of course, the wiring itself could have an open or short somewhere.

I hope some of this may help.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young