Re: Q:1996 XJ6 power antenna connector adaptor

Rule #1 when replacing Jaguar parts: Never buy after market.

Seriously, return the part and look for the correct replacement from a Jaguar parts distributor. It will cost more but will save you headaches.

My power antenna went out and I bought an after market power antenna >from Autozone, but the antenna connectors don't match. The one on the >new one is what I would call a "standard" size, whereas the one in the >Jag is much smaller. > >Anybody know where I can get an adaptor to make these work? >TIA, >Dave...
Reply to
JP

Rule #1 when repairing your Jag -- NEVER, NEVER NEVER buy parts from the dealership. You DO have to make sure you buy the correct parts elsewhere. Buying the wrong antenna from an aftermarket place is the same as buying the wrong antenna from a Jag dealership -- it is still the wrong part!!!

If it is the coaxial cable connector that you are seeking than you should be able to find one from Radio Shack or other electronics parts store.

As for buying parts from a Jag dealer, I have 3 Jags and I have about 20 friends with Jags. NONE of us will darken the door of the dealership. When I went to buy "spade bulbs" for my 1965 S-Type-- the parts guy told me Jag never made an S-Type in 1965. When I went to buy a part for my 1992 XJ40 I was told they don't carry parts for cars that old. When my friend went to the dealership to buy spark plug coils fro his 1995 XJ6 they cost him $249 each. The same coil from Ford was $149. The same coil from after market was $49. If the after market are 1/2 the quality of the Jag units, he can still buy a complete spare set and save nearly $1000. When I was looking to buy an '88 XJ40 with a bad transmission, I asked the Jag dealership how much it would cost to repair the transmission. The Price: $5,000 plus labor. They don't repair transmissions -- only replace them!! When my friend went looking to buy a new XJ8 we asked about service and the salesman proudly told us that it was usually a three day wait to get your car back on routine warranty service. He bought elsewhere. And this dealership is considered one of the best!!

It just doesn't make sense to buy a set of Zimmerman OEM front rotors from a dealership for $100 a rotor when you can buy the same Zimmerman or a better quality Brembo rotor for $48 from an after market place.

Remember that it is the Jaguar dealership network that has given Jaguar the bad name -- not the cars themselves.

Just my opinion Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Sorry, but my experience has been the oposite. I buy genuine Jaguar parts, always.

The last time I bought a transmission filter made by Fram, the intake spout was markedly shallower than on the original. This would have caused a serious lubrication problem when the fluid was low.

I work at an independent Jaguar repair shop and have seen sub-standard, ill-fitting parts cause major problems on many of our customer's vehicles.

It's funny you mention rotors; we do a lot of business replacing glazed rotors due to customer complaints of squealing. Many of these customers just went to their local Midas brake shop and had aftermarket pads and rotors put in. 10K mile later, they're paying for another brake job. And yes, I've done even a couple of Brembo.

My point is that you're better off buying genuine parts whenever possible rather than from Pep Boys or AutoZone. The extra cost is well worth it.

If you have bad dealerships in your area, then try one of the online stores.

I am just letting you know my experience.

Check us out:

JP

JP, I should have given you rule number two which is actually a correlation of rule Number #1. It is basically to never buy parts from AutoZone, Pep Boys, Advance or any of the other chains including Midas, AAMCO etc, etc, etc. (for your jag, for your Chevy they are OK) A sub-rule is to make sure the parts you buy are Jag parts or of better quality. Why should I pay $100 plus for the Jaguar name on a Zimmerman OEM rotor when I can get the same rotor for $40. It isn't like you can turn these rotors (or ever should). One of the reasons that Independent Jag shops like yours do so well is because of the lousy service the dealerships give. I am sure you can cite thousands more examples of poor service from dealers than I ever thought of!! Any part, including Brembos, are only as good as the installation and the pads that go with that installation. I learned the hard way that you have to have tempered rotors when you use ceramic pads. Fortunately, the vehicle as a Dodge van and the new set of rotors and pads only ran me $60. When I first got my '88 XJ40, I went through the entire undercarriage replacing rotors, pads, accumulator, steering rack, shocks, bulbs, bearings, differential shaft bearings and a few other items. I spent $1100 (roughly) and got all JLM (Jag) parts or better. (Brembo rotors and pads, Timkin bearings). I did all the labor. I went to the local dealership and asked for a quote on the same thing to see what it would have cost from them (including labor) -- $6500 (roughly). I later went to the Jag dealer to see if they could put new Stub axle bearings on the stub axle of my 420. Not only would they not do it because they said they could not get the parts, but they had no tool to take the nut off. It needs a 1 7/8" socket 8" deep in order to get the nut off. I have owned Jags since 1973 and all over the country east of the Mississippi. The dealership here is not a exception but closer to the rule. I even ran into a woman who had the dealership tie up her car for 4 days on a routine warranty service. The reason: She had bought the car from another dealership in California --- then moved here. Since the car wasn't purchased from our dealership -- every time a regular customer came in --they put the dealer's customer first. There are too many decent places to buy top quality parts from across the country that specialize in Jags parts. Xks, Barratts, Manners, Terry's, Welsh, HD Rodgers, and on and on and on. Why settle for less quality and higher price with a dealership?

Webserve

"JP" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
webserve

You know I read this text of yours bad mouthing the dealerships and how terrible it is to pay their prices and I cannot understand how you can sit there defend FORD's handling of this Marque. I guess it makes sense in a cheap assed way.

B.D.

Reply to
Blake Dodson