Re: S-Type Manual or Auto

"MG" wrote in news:HX2Mf.5070$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

>> The resale value of a manual will be low, there will be few wanting >> such a beast. >> Generally auto is std, manual is an optional downgrade. >> Basically if you buy a 'large/luxury' car it has to be auto >> >>> Hi >>> >>> Looking to buy an S-Type in the UK. >>> >>> Anyone got any advice on whether I should be looking at Manual or >>> Auto transmission ? >>> >>> Am used to Manual but never driven a "big" car like an S-Type >>> before. >>> >>> Obviously I should try it out and then decide but unable to do so >>> for a couple of weeks. >>> >>> regards >>> >>> Rev >>> >>> >> >> > > I have a 2004 S-6 with the six speed automatic and for 30000 miles has > been just perfect. Austin Texas has a few hills and the J shift is > really handy allowing you to shift down almost like a manual. > > In earlier models there was some software problem but by 2004 they > have been fixed. > Mauro > > >

I'm interested if anyone has details about the pre-2004 transmission problems. My wife's 2002 S-type 4.0 has shifted hard from time to time, but recently has locked her out of being able to shift all together. They have 'fixed' that problem now three times saying it was 1) a bad electronic shifter component, 2) a fuse, and 3) a 'bad' fuse.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Reply to
Thomas

My 2003 S-Type R automatic shifts harder with Sport Mode off, especially when down shifting into the lower gears. The dealer reprogrammed it which seemed to help. I leave Sport Mode on which is pretty good.

Reply to
mdp

Well, there's a good bit of info. I haven't really driven my S-Type in Sport Mode yet, not seeing the need, but that's a good reason to try it. Any noticeable difference in gas mileage?

Z~

.
Reply to
Zinc

Never checked it with Sport Mode off. Car computes average mpg at 12.2. I only drive city and it is an R so I'm not surprised.

Reply to
mdp

Reply to
Michael