Re: XJ40 Buying Advice?

I have a maximum of £750 to spend, and

> I'm looking for something which will keep me going for at least a year...

I would consider buying that Jag but I'd take the view that it's a bit of a lottery. You could go years without the need for many repairs or it could be a can of worms. Take along someone who knows that model to check it out throroughly.

You said: "It's apparently in excellent condition (a few minor rust patches - one on bonnet, couple of wheel arches)". This seems unlikely in my experience. Rust is like an iceberg.

Together with rust, the air con system is another aspect which could be expensive to put right, if you need cool air.

Often-quoted advice is to spend more on a good car in the first place. It's frequently cheaper than a low cost purchase plus repairs/restoration.

In the handbook to the car, Jaguar would have strongly advised against using unleaded fuel under any circumstances, at the risk of causing serious engine damage. It's stange then that most people do now use unleaded fuel. The lack of lead isn't really the issue. It's the need to maintain the octane rating, or adjust the timing (probably already done) to allow the use of lower-octane fuel.

Good luck.

Regards George

Reply to
George Bray

My XJ 40 1994 4.0 is a great car, has had required no work in 4 years and has never missed a beat. Bushes at the rear may be gone but a cheap car for such a great one

Reply to
Dave Gordon