Rear seatbelt questions on a 90 XJS coupe

I have a few questions for someone familiar with a circa 1990 XJS coupe. I purchased a rear seat that came from a 90, and want to use it as a replacement for my 84 XJS seat.

  1. The 90 seat bottom has 2 square openings adjacent to the driveshaft hump (tunnel)... can I assume they are for the center seatbelts to pass through?

  1. the 84 center seatbelts attach to the trunk (boot) wall and slip through between the seat bottom and the seat back.

  2. Assuming the 90 seat belts do go through those square openings, then I suspect perhaps their ends attach to the bolt heads in the side of the driveshaft tunnel (on my 84) below the square openings, because my 84 belts aren't long enough to reach through the square holes from their present mounts on the boot wall, nor would that routing make sense; is it true that the '90 belts attach to those hump bolts?

  1. If so, what do those 2 bolts in the driveshaft hump hold (beneath the car)? Do they each thread into another assembly or captured nut, or is there a separate nut that needs to be held with a wrench from below?

  2. If those hump bolts are (also) holding the seatbelts on a 90 XJS, is it safe for me to remove and replace one bolt at a time in my 84 to add the seatbelts, or is something going to go "Sproooonnnggg!!!" or get so misaligned that I won't be able to re-insert the bolt?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
WayneC