REAR SUSPENSION NOISE

I've just purchased a 94 XJ6 and have discovered a "clunk" in the right rear end (where sound seems to be coming from) when hitting a bump in the road. Any history of this sort of failure in the XJ6 line? Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated. I am fairly mechanically inclined but don't want to chase up the wrong tree if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.

saw

Reply to
S Weiden

Saw, Obviously, a clunk can mean any number of things depending upon the severity of the sound. In my case, the clunk on my 1988 XJ40 was caused by the top of the rear shock snapping off and the shock running free. In the case of a friend of mine, the rubber insulators had disintegrated on his

1992 XJ40. Most likely it is just the rubber finally giving way. It will happen to the front as well. The best thing for you to do is remove the shock assembly. It is held on by the arm at the bottom and 4 bolts at the top. It is an easy removal. Mark the position of the top of the assembly with paint or some other marking so you can re-align the assembly during re-install. Also, it is possible by twisting the assembly to remove it without undoing the hub. SHOULD you undo the hub in order to facilitate the removal, you will have to replace the nuts that secure the hub. These are Helix nuts and can not be reused. The shock/spring assembly comes out as a unit and once out, you can visually inspect the assembly. Any further inspection, however will require a study set of spring compressors. It is not a difficult job to do -- but certainly a pain.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Thanks Webserve. I'll let you know what I find.

saw

Reply to
S Weiden