Rental 2003 (2004?) California road trip this Saturday.

Hertz has the XJ8 for rental. They (or probably any rental agency has no XJR), so I rented one.

It's going to be either a 2003 or 2004 depending on the milage when they sell them. "But not less than a 2003."

My best friend and I are going to meet his long lost (30-years-found) sister and he has a junk van. I didn't want to take his van (problematic for years) so I rented the XJ8.

We're traveling from Long Beach to McKinnleyville.

Is this a kewl car to make the trip. I don't mind the sedan cause we're packing lots of stuff.

The local dealer is going to let me test drive one tomorrow (in Philadelphia), but naturally you can't put it thru the tests in that time.

Is this a good rental? Cost: $480 for the week.

Any thoughts?

Andy

Reply to
Buteo Lagopus

stuart8181

"stuart8181" wrote in news:md3cb.1757$qK1.1870299 @news2.news.adelphia.net:

You've rented an XJ8 for this trip?

Why the camry? Explain!

(problematic

Reply to
Buteo Lagopus

Group, I'm an IT guy for a group of 15 doctors.They know I hate to travel,so when asked to go to, of all places ,Modesto,to check out practice managment systems,I balked.I hate to travel.So in a nutshell they agreed to rent an XJ8 for the trip.I enjoyed it immensely.I own an 86 XJS that I love ,but don't use much. They will not allow you to use your own vehicle for business. The XJ8 was not as ethereal as the V12,but I loved it.Plenty of power,smooth,fast,enjoyable.Toyota Camry??I think not. I believe Toyota to be the most reliable auto company on earth,if that is what you desire.I recommend them all the time if reliability is what you are after,and care for nothing else. However, if you want a luxurious,comfortable trip with a little, heh ,snob appeal,bag the Toyota eh?Adysthemic

Reply to
Adysthemic

Reply to
stuart8181

Nice touring choice!

Choices, choices. =)

Nice drive?

Of course! The car does'nt shine unless you get up to speed and hold it there, but, I do find myself getting passed by homies in their low riders at times... ;-)

Read above...

Of course! You could always end up with a front drive, tiresome boring car. Like a Camry! (ICNR!!!)

Yes go with what you want...

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

By ALL means, stay on Route 1 as much as possible. If you can't do it the whole way, at least go to Petaluma & cut West to 1, then go North.

If you get to stop at Ft.Bragg, try GREAT fish & Chips at Cap'n Flints, & check out the Mendocino Gardens just South of town.

Forget the B-O-R-I-N-G Camry. It handles like an old lady's car.

Reply to
Not James

Camry? you are joking?

Reply to
Comm Clinic

"Comm Clinic" wrote in news:P_vcb.122154$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

I think he meant Yugo :-)

Reply to
Ron McGrice

"Not James" wrote in news:ADpcb.9878$gv5.7709@fed1read05:

We're going to zig-zap up north. But naturally we're going PCH for stretches.

Thanks for the "eats" advice.

Andy

PS> Camry??? My mom (beautiful old lady [R.I.P.]) drove one of them. OK car, but not for my first vacation in two years. --A

Reply to
Buteo Lagopus

Not to mention stupendously dull. I'll bet you're accountant.

Why are you even lurking in this group? You just *don't get it*.

You won't understand why I bought a Phoenix Red X-Type 3.0 Sport

5-speed back in March. 'It's smaller and more expensive than a Camry.'

You'd *sure* never understand why I just bought a 124,000-mile '87 BMW

535is last week to replace my nearly-identical 250,000-mile 535is (even built the same month). 'It's noisier and more unreliable than a Camry.'

You'd probably be completely flummoxed to discover that I most enjoy driving these when there's nobody else around to see me. If your kids can read lips, they'll know what I was saying as I waited for a safe place to get past your Boring Transportation Module (TM). 'What was that silver blur, Honey?' =8^O

-- C.R. Krieger (One o' those moods again)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Stuart drops by from time to time to knock Jaguar. Says he had a bad '94. I remember him from other exchanges so I did a quick "Google" on him. In other groups he drops by to knock Japanese cars which he says have been the worst cars he's owned. Doesn't like the Germans or SUV's much either. Most of the time he touts Buick. Why he decided to push a Japanese Camry this time is unknown. Doesn't seem to be an evil troll, just an opinionated guy who lives in the Usenet. Sort of "troll lite".

Reply to
fmaas

Hello folks!

Well, I am back from my CA road trip and to sum it up, that Jag XJ8 is one helluva nice ride!!! Didn't see a nicer car the whole trip.

It had 320 miles on it when I drove it off the lot and turned it in a week later with 2180 on it. That car is certainly broken in now!!! It was a 2004.

That six-speed is really nice, like having a manual transmission without a clutch!!!

The trip started in La Habra and we took the coast roads (with a few inland stops to wine country and Sacramento and ended in McKinleyville (north of Eureka!). Also stopped in Buellton for Anderson's Pea Soup. It's the best!

The twisties were a breeze but did slow us down alot but it refused to give up it's grip which was also awesome. Again the six-speed really shined here.

It was fast! On the open roads cars were getting out of our lane as we roared down I-5. Top speed was 115mph. Slowing down to 55 felt like I could've jumped out and walked that fast.

Funniest part of the trip was along Rt. 128. We're driving along and all of a sudden we're entering "Mark's Bar and Bistro". It had an arch over the road announcing this and the brainquake that errupted such that it seemed that somehow the road had just ended into a parking lot for the bar but on closer/slower inspection, the double-yellow line went on. We laughed off and on for miles! Guess you can get away with that in a small town. I guess you'd probably have to see it for yourself to see the humor of it.

I'd own one of these beauties in a heartbeat if I could afford it. [sigh]

Don't CA road trip in anything less than the XJ8. Maybe next time around in the XJR?? ;-)

All the best,

Andy

Reply to
Buteo Lagopus