Replacing heat/ac control - 94 XJ6

I need to replace the heater and air conditioning control unit in my 94 XJ6. I have the part in hand, and in looking at my Haynes Automotive Repair Manual, it tells me to first "see chapter 11 for removal of the console heater control/radio assembly trim bezel".

My problem is that my chapter 11 doesn't contain this information. (In fact, most of the pictures in this 88-94 repair manual appear to be the older models.)

The actual replacement of the unit looks rather simple once you are able to access it. Any tips as to where to start for removing this would be appreciated.

Reply to
Edward Owen

Your '94 XJ40 should be like my '88 and my friend's '92.

You have to remove the two screws under the center console lid next to the latch. This will allow you to remove the ash tray assembly. The "Ski Slope" is held down by two plastic wing nuts that must now be removed. Once that is done, the ring surrounding the shifter must be removed. Be careful not to break the tabs. Once these parts are all removed, the ski slope should lift off. You may have to shift to Drive to get it to clear. This will expose the console fascia that holds the radio and A/C controls. The fascia is removed by 6 (I think 6 -- possibly 8 screws). The entire assembly is now removed from the dash. Once out, the A/C control can easily be replaced.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve