S-Type Manual or Auto

Hi

Looking to buy an S-Type in the UK.

Anyone got any advice on whether I should be looking at Manual or Auto transmission ?

Am used to Manual but never driven a "big" car like an S-Type before.

Obviously I should try it out and then decide but unable to do so for a couple of weeks.

regards

Rev

Reply to
Tiger

The resale value of a manual will be low, there will be few wanting such a beast. Generally auto is std, manual is an optional downgrade. Basically if you buy a 'large/luxury' car it has to be auto

Reply to
old man

I have a 2004 S-6 with the six speed automatic and for 30000 miles has been just perfect. Austin Texas has a few hills and the J shift is really handy allowing you to shift down almost like a manual.

In earlier models there was some software problem but by 2004 they have been fixed. Mauro

Reply to
MG

I have a 2003 S-Type R with the 6-speed automatic tranmission. 11K miles. Tends to downshift harder when not in sport mode so I leave sport mode on. The dealer reprogrammed it a couple times but it always shifts harder with sport mode off. Car's been an absolutely delight to drive. 0-60 in just under three tickets.

Reply to
mdp

'S'-type is not a 'big' car, it is a medium-sized car. XJ6 is a big car .

Which gearbox you prefer is entirely a matter of driving style. Ignoring the type R, which I assume is outside your price range and doesn't offer the option anyway, the sportiest-feeling S-type is the V6 with manual. The V8 may be a faster car, but it doesn't offer the manual option. It has a smoother and more luxurious feel.

Personally, if I couldn't afford an R version I would definitely stick with the manual V6... but then I wouldn't be buying an S-type anyway. I would go for the X-type estate and spend the money I saved on performance mods.

Reply to
David Betts

I get to test drive the S-Type manual next weekend and will also compare with an Auto at the same time.

Appreciate everyone's inputs on the subject.

Reply to
Tiger