Thinking about buying a XJS V12 approx. 1989!

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help?

I'm thinking about buying a second hand XJS V12 (£4000) from a car dealer with 69000 miles on clock. Car looks and sounds beautiful, but, due to the age, no doubt there are various things to look out for?

Can anyone offer any help please?

Brian (Golcar, Huddersfield)

Reply to
That Man!

Check very carefully for rust damage. A really fine car and can be very reliable. Can also be very trouble prone. If you can not do your own maintenance and repairs, be sure you are willing to bear the possibility of very high costs of labor and parts.

Don Young USA

Reply to
Don Young

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks Don

I'm still pondering whether to go-ahead or not.

Brian (Huddersfield, UK)

Reply to
That Man!

I suppose it's fair to say that a car is worth what you are willing to pay for it, but I should think that there are quite a few lovely late 80s XJS around for half that money. The condition and mechanics are something for you to judge for yourself, but a couple of little things to look for in a car that should be 'beautiful': The chrome on the bumpers, not the bits you can see but the bits you cant. XJS bumper chromes will rot from the underside. The chrome can look really good on the outside but it could be sitting on rotten steel. On each side of the boot, feel down in to the valences behide the rear wheels. another place where hidden rot can be happening. Also, in the boot, feel under the steel of the bottom of the rear windscreen. And a favorite place for them to rot is the top of the trailing arms of the rear suspention. You cant see it even if you get under the car but it's easy to run your hand on the top of the bars that run from from to back just inside of the from of the rear wheels. I've owned two (still got one V12) Lovely to drive, but the most impractical car I've ever had.but even so, still my favorite.

Ivar

Reply to
Ivar

I'm in the Northwest USA. I have an XJS V12 1986. 45,000miles. AC no longer works,but everything else just fine. I put it on CL in SF for 5000.00 and had no interest at all. So unless the UK has really different values for Jags then it's likely too much,Adysthemic

Reply to
Adysthemic

Reply to
david