Total newbie to Jaguars but usually maintain my own vehicles - need all advice/warnings about this one

1988 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign for sale.

All Original, including owner

Excellent interior and exterior condition

189 000 Km

Very Clean Car

Always well driven, run's and handles beautifully

Prices reduced

$6995 o.b.o reduced to $6500

Price includes 3 sets of original Jaguar floor mats

TIA

SR

Reply to
SR

SR, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but according to Kelley Blue Book, a

1988 XJ40 is only worth $2,150 USD and that is if it is in EXCELLENT (exceptional -near show room) condition. By the way, Jaguar only made two US models, a VanDen Plas and a Sovereign. There was no base model made for the US. Although there might have been one in Canada. Even $6,500 Canadian dollars ($5,150USD) is a bit high.

Four years ago, I bought my 1988 XJ40 in EXCELLENT condition with 150,000 miles (241,000 Km) for $1900 USD. Two years ago, my friend bought his 1992 XJ40, again in excellent shape with 125,000 miles for $2,500.

If your question is whether to buy the car or not, the best thing to do is go to:

and readthe book. It is written by XJ40 owners and will tell you what can andprobably will go wrong with the car.Cheers Webserve

Reply to
webserve

"SR" wrote in news:Ql%6d.9$j24.0@clgrps12:

Dog of a model and far too expensive. Try and find a 90's model with the 4 litre.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

In message , SR writes

That sounds expensive compared with UK prices.

As far as what goes wrong at that mileage is concerned :- The engine is just about run in, they go for ever.

1 Diff bearings. Pinion bearings in mine, not too difficult to change. 2 Switches on the hydraulic accumulator leak. A 10 cent 'o' ring but a $150 unrepairable switch. 3 ABS warning light stays on. Dodgy contacts on or in the over voltage relay, the blue one in the boot (trunk)
Reply to
David Toft

Thank you very much for your replies - very much appreciated. SR

Reply to
SR