Transmission engagement is harsh

I have a 2003 XJ8 that I bought recently. 45K miles on it. I find that when I start it up in the morning, the rpms are about 1000 or so (quite normal, I realize) and when I put the transmission in reverse, the car lurches. Other than that, the transmission shifts fine, with no hint of problems others have had. Since the car is still under the new car warranty, I took it to the dealer and was told "they all do that." Well, of course, that's nonsense. I am guessing that the accelerator pedal sensor output to the transmission control module is messed up somehow, telling the TCM that I have my foot on the gas when I don't. But this is only a guess. What's clear is I'm going to have to help the mechanics solve this problem, so I'm hoping someone can point to something that I can have them check out. Is my guess reasonable? Are there other things I should have them check? It is clear to me that "they DON'T all do that", so I need some information to get them to actually look at something rather than brush me off. BTW, I am dealing with Thousand Oaks Jaguar, if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help you can give.

Reply to
Jo Bangles

Why argue?

Call their bluff - remember these cars are a LUXURY product that ought to work at least as well as a mass produced car.

If, in fact "they all do that" ask for a demonstration, on the spot, of a used car from their lot, that also lurches when shifted cold, into reverse.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I think 1,000 RPM is high for an 8 cyl. You may have a idle speed control valve sticking. I agree with the why argue explanation though. Ask the to prove it and then suggest the ISCV. Regards, Joe

Reply to
Gunner

If by lurch you mean it goes in with a bang/thud then, no thats not right

Reply to
old man

Reply to
Jo Bangles

If the car is in fast idle mode to warm up and you drop it in gear it will lurch. It would be the same as if you held the engine speed up at 1000 rpm's when warm and dropped it in to gear. You should let it warm up and then put it in gear. If it holds the fast idle for longer than necessary have them look at the problem from the point of view.

Reply to
John Cassara

I agree with the last guy, its bound to lurch a bit at anything over normal (warm) tick over. It is simply the gearbox doing its job, transferring drive to the wheels. The slightly higher rpm when cold will result in a lurch even in D. I presume you need to reverse first-thing every time you start it? Try it in a forward gear next time, remembering that you have the back of the seat and suspension geometry working correctly to take up any G-forces, so the effect will appear less.

Hope this helps, Mr Smooth

Reply to
Mr Smooth

Hiya,

All the stuff said makes sense but I'd still try cleaning out the ISCV to get the idle speed down, they do get grubby. Another thing tho', do you press the throttle pedal when cranking/starting? Mine gets upset if I touch the pedals at all while starting.

pottsy

No, I don't touch the pedals. In the old days that was okay, even necessary, but with fuel injection and all those damn computers, it's best to let the car do what it thinks it should. Thanks for your help. Bo

Reply to
Jo Bangles

Reply to
Jo Bangles

Hello,

First the pump pressure should be verified to be within specification, then, contact your Dealer to see if a updated firmware version is available to address this symptom.

Back before electr> I have a 2003 XJ8 that I bought recently. 45K miles on it. I find that

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Reply to
Jo Bangles