troubles on 1996 xj6

Got a million questions but will settle for three or four. My Kat is a 1996 XJ6 and I went to Nashville,Tn Saturday and drove rather hard and fast, as safety would permit on the interstate. Car run smooth as glass, got 23 MPG on the trip, great.as I got home, was almost to the red out of gas (371 miles) it took 17 galleons, so filled up and drove on home. 12 miles, stopped at Pizza shop for supper, and the check engine light came on. ordered pizza and limped accross street to service station, and checked the oil. oil level in the xxxxx so ok. came home and parked for nite. now will not start, has good strong crank so battery ok, i have tried the gas cap routine, it does not click just turns, it trieded to start and heard the whirl of the smog pump, don't know about the 02 senser but everyone tells me that would not keep it from starting, but run rought, this is small town of

30k, and folks look at a Jag as something foreign as they drive their Toyotas, and Lexus around. I have fond a garage called Northcuts here in Tullahoma, TN and he has been highly recomened, he even has the diagonistical machines to read the Jag codes, Now to the Questions, is it possibly the fuel pump, trash in the injectors, crank sensior, or any other WASG and has any one used Mr Northcut as a mechanic? Peace and Harmony and hope you do not need any Jaguar parts this year. harvey nelson snipped-for-privacy@charter.net
Reply to
Harvey Nelson

Your 1996 is a totally different cat than my '88, but if it were my '88 the first thing I would check is to see if you are getting fuel to the rail. If you are, then chances are you have a bad CPS. (Crank Position Sensor)

Webserve

Reply to
Webserve

Similar thing happenned on my old sIII, found out it was water in the petrol station tanks that had blocked the whole system.

Ford Cologne V6's hate going low on the tank so it could be the Jag is the same, perhaps some debris sucked up. My ol' Scorpio went right down to vapours and the injectors pulled up a load of crap and I had to buy a new injector set.

Ian

Reply to
ancient one

If you find that you have spark I would think debris in filter or watery fuel.

Reply to
DieInterim