TSB 7691 motorized meat belt

Anyone have the the text of TSB 7691_ motorized automatic diagonal seatbelts

The seatbelt control unit is broken on my 92 VDP. The dealer has replaced the seatbelt motor several times. Within a day or two the battery is dead and then the unit will not function when the battery is recharged.

When the car is just sitting there after turning of the ignition, you can hear clicking in the door and the seatbelt moves a little bit on the track. When I check with my multi-meter, when this activity is going on there is about an 8 amp load on the battery.

To me, it seems that whatever controls the system is malfunctioning, that includes the sensor letting the system know some one is in the seat and that the ignition is on. I would suspect a damaged wire, poor ground, etc.

The dealer only replace parts and don't seem to have an understanding of the logic that controls the system. So if someone has the wiring diagram or logic diagram that would also be very helpful.

Now the dealer says the cars computer is at fault and I will have to pay for one of those ($1,000). They claim the lifetime warrenty only covers the motor that drives the seatbelt along the track. It was my understanding that the whole system was covered as passive restraints were required (airbags or automatic seatbelts) by the USDOT.

TIA

Simon

Reply to
simon

simon wrote in news:010720042218461315%pagesk2001 @yahoo.com:

Maybe you could buy another XJ40 for a parts car, they are certainly cheap enough :-)

Reply to
Ron the Barbarian

Oh and Series I and II are even cheaper Ron. ;-)

Simon,

I have a feeling that the dealer is trying to rape you. The wire in the track might be losing its plasticized coating or the "doly" is simply jamming in the track.

In the US, automatic belt mechanisms are lifetime warranty covered by law. I had a dealer try to sell me an entire seat-belt system in my 92, only to find out from another dealer that is it free to repair. My problem was not the motor, but the track itself.

Why would the battery go dead? Well the "doly" might not actually be going all the way back or the switch is not being tripped in the extend position. In this case the seatbelt will keep trying to extend, then trips the breaker. Sit in your car with the key off, door shut, and try to listen for the motor "click" or any other noises. In other words the belt mechanism is not getting a signal that the belt is at the end of its travel, and keeps trying over and over again until your battery goes flat.

Call Jaguar personally and complain about your dealers inabilty to repair a simple belt system and that now they want to sell you some computer. Ask them where else you can take your car.

Regards, Blake Dodson

Reply to
DieInterim

snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (DieInterim) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Sure are, I was given a SII for spare parts. Been damn handy too, all, that was wrong with is was rust in one sill.

Given the price of parts for the XJ40, I'd get another for spares.

Ron

Reply to
Ron the Barbarian

FWIW, in the USA motorized belts are covered by a lifetime warranty. Check with a dealer or Jaguar Customer Relationship Center.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Yeah,

I have been toying with the idea of chopping the hell out of one of those (SER I) and putting in a Chev 350/383 screamer with a manual. I always did like the body lines.

Cheers, Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Thanks Blake

Simon

Reply to
simon

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Blake Dodson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Yes Blake, you could.

I believe you own a XJ40?

I'd be looking for a low mileage one that has been damaged beyond repair, and buy it for electrical parts. The SII I had I stripped to the last nut and bolt, then sent the body (for free) to a metal recycler.

So far I've used a few bits and supplied some mates with bits as well :-) It sure saves $$$$'s

Ron

Reply to
Ron the Barbarian