V12 Oxy Sensors on a 8/86 xjsc

Hi, I have a Aug '86 xjsc v12. It is an Australian unleaded model. I am just wondering if anyone has had experience with the oxy sensors on this model?

Do they play a critical role in keeping emissions down (i.e. like on a modern car, x300 etc) or are they just there for trimming effect?

Disconnecting them doesn't seem to have any effect at all, that's why I ask. I am also in pursuit of the best possible fuel economy ;-)

Thanks, Nick, Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Nick

"Nick" wrote in news:3eI5d.5519$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

Ah!! Remove the motor and insert an XJ40 3.6. THEN you will have economy :-)

Reply to
Ron

Reply to
Don Young

Those oxy sensors are used as feedback by the computer to continually adjust the fuel injectors to get optimum air/fuel ratio into the cylinders so as to not waste fuel (rich) or burn valves (lean); I would NOT disconnect them.

Reply to
WayneC

hahaha good one.

thx.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks, better take them seriously then and get some new ones that actually work.

Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick