want a jag

loooking to buy a jag - £5-6000 tops, s type, xj6/xj8 - week end car (work by train)engine size oe mileage not a concern- any suggestions and what should i look out for.

Quite like an xjr!

thanks Rob

Reply to
throb

There's a few things to watch out for on early XJ8s (i.e. pre-2000). Poor cold starting could be a Nikasil problem (google for this) - that means a replacement engine. Having said that, by now I'd expect most cars with that issue to be dead or have a replacement engine as we now have lower sulphur petrol so less erosion of the linings takes place. The only real check for this is a blow-by compression test. Listen for timing chain rattles - replacement of the plastic tensioners and chains will cost you a couple of thousand. In many ways the last of the XJ6s are better than the first of the XJ8s, but I prefer the XJ8 (I've had a couple of them, one of the first from

1998, and currently a very late 2002 model - they are daily drivers for me, not weekend cars).

Make sure there is a full, up to date, verifiable service history - preferably with invoices showing what has been done. These cars are great when looked after, but can be extremely expensive if neglected. Check all of the electrics; this isn't an XJ specific issue, but as with any modern car, apparently minor issues (e.g. the seat memory not working) can need replacement of expensive computer units.

Take a look at a few, don't jump on the first you see. Quality can be very variable, especially at the price point you are looking at; cars that age may well have had several owners, and later ones may have skimped on the upkeep leaving potentially expensive jobs for you to pick up. Even "minor" issues like it needing a set of tyres will take a chunk out of your budget; a set of good quality ones will cost you £500+.

Also, be aware of trim level differences; some can be surprisingly basic for such upmarket cars (items such as cruise control, electric seats on both sides and even CD players weren't fitted to all models).

Owning an XJ isn't an inexpensive experience, but I can't imagine driving anything else now.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

If you find an XJ8/XJR prior to 2003, be aware that if the timing chain tensioners and water pump haven't been replaced, you will have to do so. Jaguar used plastic parts and they will fail at some point. With the tensioners, results of failure are catastrophic --the engine will be wrecked. My mechanic says the earliest he has seen tensioners fail is 40,000 miles, although the norm seems to be a lot higher than that. Warning sign: you will hear a rattling noise from the front of the engine upon cold start up. Another issue with XJ8/XJR prior to 2001 -- Nicosil cylinder liners. These were used by both Jaguar and BMW in that era, and both discovered to their horror that the liners eventually disintegrate, probably due to high sulphur content in gasoline used. This is not so much an issue anymore, as fuels are much improved these days. Fixes for this include relining the cylinders or replacing the engine block with a short block.

I have a 2001 XJ8 Vanden Plas, and I am going to replace the tensioners, tensioner guides, and chains -- upper and lower -- and the water pump this spring. I have been quoted a cost of $2200 Canadian for this (it is better to do the pump and tensioners etc at the same time, as they are both at the front of the engine, and you will save labour costs. Somebody from your neck of the woods (UK) told me the going rate he was quoted was about 1200 pounds.

When I purchased the car, I negotiated $3000 off the asking price to cover these repairs.

Hope this helps, and doesn't in any way detract from your enthusiasm for Jaguars. The XJ8 is a beautiful car and the engine is superb. There is nothing quite like a Jaguar, and the XJR will be particularly exhilarating.

Reply to
Alan Strickland

thanks Mat & Alan for your info, very usefull. as I have been driving an Alfa for the past 3 years(next best thing to a Jag)heavy on repairs etc I will take more time with my next purchase. Rob

Reply to
throb